Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any reason why I shouldn't buy a 2nd gen Audi A6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 12:08 AM
Default Any reason why I shouldn't buy a 2nd gen Audi A6?

Hi everyone, I'm new here obviously. I was an originalon the ClubLexus boards but haven't had much time for internet forums lately. I would really appreciate some insight from all of you.

One rolled up at an auction I attend every now and then, it was a 1999 A6 with 110k, I was the winning bidder at 5600 but the bank wouldn't let it go for that, it will be up for auction again this week.

I was really impressed by the car, the silver on it looked great and the interior was very nicely put together. I have a Lexus SUV and I love Lexus reliability but that AWD on the Audi is almost a neccessity here in Michigan. I believe the newer GS models come with AWD but I'm looking to spend under 10k and there are a lot of GS's around here and they are starting to look like kiddie cars to me. The Audi, to me, is very classy looking and is something I can chauefer clients in and take my girlfriend out in without having to worry about navigating my massive SUV that gets 8mpg, I'm sick of trucks. It's a simple car that doesn't overstate itself but is very respectable which is what I am looking for.

I guess the only thing I need is some feedback, I would appreciate any help I could get as far as reliability and things to look out for are concerned.

Thanks in advance,
Frank

Old 05-30-2007, 12:50 AM
Default RE: Any reason why I shouldn't buy a 2nd gen Audi A6?

I would really appreciate some advice and insight....

Old 05-30-2007, 06:02 AM
2nd Gear

I own a 2005 4.2. From what I have read on the forum, the weight of the car causes suspension problems withtie rods, etc. Otherwise, the car is reliable. This is pretty consistent with the reliability chart below. Good luck.

Reliability history

Trouble Spots
Audi A6 sedan V6

Engine Major

Engine Minor

Engine Cooling

Transmission

Drive System

Fuel System

Electrical System

Climate System

Suspension

Brakes

Exhaust

Paint/Trim/Rust

Body Integrity

Body hardware

Power equipment

Audio System

Used Car Verdicts

Old 05-30-2007, 11:38 AM

Its a tough leap of faith if you aren't getting maintenance records. There could be some deferred work that needs attention- like aforementioned a-arms/tie rods. Also bear in mind that the timing belt is a large service/maintenance item, and the motors (without exception, I believe) are interference motors so that would need attention. However, I wouldn't otherwise be too put off by the mileage. I bought my 2002 4.2 with just over 100K on it. Had complete dealership maintenance demonstrated by records, and aside from needing brakes drives as new.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

Francis,
I bought a 1YO 2006 A6 3.2 Quattro with 20K miles 3 months ago. This is my first experience with Audi. I wanted an AWD sedan about the size of the A6. I've not had problems to speak of, there are a few annoyances, but then again, I'm not a big gearhead, so alot of the amenities go over my head. I can tell you what steps I took in the due diligence arena.

Audi dealers will vie for your service business. It's a huge profit center for them. In my model's/year's case, the warranty covers standard service up to 3yr/50K. So I walked in to the service manager with the VIN in hand. Audi maintenance records are centralized. He looked it all up for me and printed out the service history, all done by Audi.
I then hired an automotive tech (used to work at a dealer, now at an independent shop.) I made the deal contingent on no major issues. Checked out fine.

I've an active family, a few things kinda bug me. Middle rear seat is so damn hard nobody wants to 3-up in the back. I was suprised at the lower gas mileage, (had a V6 Toyota avalon before) but part of that is the AWD, part is the greater horsese (which I really don't need). This newer model doesn't have a rack fit kit yet for the roof. Gonna bolt the bikes on trunk. Wish it had a reasonably priced ipod interface, geeze that old cassette deck was worth something after all...

The car just came back from the 25K mile checkup, no problems found, lots of tread, lots of brake pad. I do find the redundant center console controls to be a bit much.

I live in New England and I am a big skier, so while I'm always on plowed roads, the driving can be dicey especially during a snowfall. I got the car just as skiing season was starting to wind down. In Vermont, after winter season comes mud season. While the roads were fine in early April, the parking lots were all mud. I was very pleased with how AWD got me in and out.

So I can't "warn" you about anything thus far - I've only had it 3 months, but it's now 15 months old. Hoping for many, many good miles.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:34 PM
1st Gear

I can tell you my 99 A6 Avant Quattro is sitting in my garagew right now and has been for 3 months as it needs a transmission and TCM to the tune of over $5000. Here's the kicker. I work for a dealer and that is my employee cost. The Trans is roughly $6500 retail and the TCM is just under $2000. The labor is just over 13 hours for the job at $105 per flat rate hour. You do the math. $5k and I'll be doing the job myself. Here's my warning statement.The transmissions in all VAG cars (VW/Audi Gruppe) are filled for life (unless they leak) That means no filter changes or fluid flushes or gaskets or maintenance needed. BULL SPIT!!!!! As a VW/Audi tech I have changed more trans units in 4 years than I care to admit. Also I recently came accross unreleased official information that Vw/Audi consider the "life" of "filled for life" to be 100k miles. Then you are GOING to need a trans. We bought our A6 at 70k in 2003 and it rolled to 141k just before the trans went out. The TCM malfunctioned and wore out the internals of the trans. My torque converter siezed and wallowed out the trans fluid pump and now the fluid is being pumped out of the unit onto the catalysts as you go down the road. Make sure the trans has been replaced or someone had the brains to pay the huge cost and got the filter/fluid and gasket changed.Also before you buy request that the inspecting technician you hire to check out the car takes a fluid sample from the drain hole in the trans pan and have the Audi dealer inspect and analyze it. My wife is trying to tote 3 kids around in my moms maxima while we figure out how to pay for this repair to our otherwise BELOVED A6. I won;t lie theis is the greatest car we have ever owned. To this day it does not rattle or squeak inside and the car handles impecably and the Quattro is the safest system on the road. The back seat is is like a leather living room to our 3 liitle ones and the 3rd row will be installed when we get the car going again for our oldest. The dealer has an Ipod adapter available and the car still looks new in design. (timeless beauty) I've had to do all the maintenance though, t-belt, tensioner, idlers, waterpump, alternator, all 8 upper and lower control arms. engine speed sensor, valve cover gaskets w/ cam adjuster seals,( a HUGE job) viscous fan,(which blew apart and punched a hole in the radiator and shredded the engine wire harness.) Headlamp washers pump, all the cup holders, and on and on. I do have to say I am VERY impressed that the airbags, power seats, soft touch trim, electronics, radio, speakers, seatbelts and all have never needed work.

It's a great car to own, just be prepared for some expense to keep it great at the mileage you mentioned.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:32 PM
1st Gear

I have a 1999 Audi A6 wagon. I want to sell it, but within a few months, maybe sooner. Anyway, it has needed only regular maintenence. Sure, it needed tires, brakes, oiland a timing belt, but other than the regular things that cars require, it has been good. What Lexus do you have? I have a Gold LX 470.