Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

audi a6 expansion tank leak and dont know reason??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:10 AM
kel
Default audi a6 expansion tank leak and dont know reason??

hi there i took my audi A6 quattro 1995 for a service at audi and noticed a day later when it would not turn over that there was no fluid in the expansion tank. I took it back to the mechanics whom i figured had not refilled it as this had not happened previously.He assurred me that it had been replaced and had a look to find the cause.He ended up sealing a leak in the pipe which had been put in place to bypass the heater matrix.The mechanic at this stage believed this to be the source of the fluid leakage however the leak continued.I again took it back and he was at a loss to the problem.I mentioned that it had been running rough since the service and he now thinks that maybe there is a problem with the head gasket and the radiator fluid may be running into the engine?does anyone have any ideas on this theory? Could this be the problem?is it a big problem aside from the everyday task of refilling the tank?i am sick of paying with no resolutions!thankyou for any thoughts on this matter

Old 01-28-2009, 10:51 AM
2nd Gear

Give us specifics on the service done.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:58 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by kel
hi there i took my audi A6 quattro 1995 for a service at audi and noticed a day later when it would not turn over that there was no fluid in the expansion tank. I took it back to the mechanics whom i figured had not refilled it as this had not happened previously.He assurred me that it had been replaced and had a look to find the cause.He ended up sealing a leak in the pipe which had been put in place to bypass the heater matrix.The mechanic at this stage believed this to be the source of the fluid leakage however the leak continued.I again took it back and he was at a loss to the problem.I mentioned that it had been running rough since the service and he now thinks that maybe there is a problem with the head gasket and the radiator fluid may be running into the engine?does anyone have any ideas on this theory? Could this be the problem?is it a big problem aside from the everyday task of refilling the tank?i am sick of paying with no resolutions!thankyou for any thoughts on this matter
If you have a head gasket that leaks it is possible for the coolant to get into the combustions chambers fo the engine. This usually causes the engine to put out white puffy smoke. This can also be confirmed by pulling the spark plugs (from both sides of the engine)and checking them for evidence of water. This would show which head gasket is leaky.
As nehmom already asked, what type of service was performed? Just so we don't jump to conclusions.
Also, did you car ever overheat?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:26 AM
kel
Default expansion tank leak

hi there thanks guys for your time.It was just a basic service.Has nearly 200000 klm on it.It doesnt produce any white puffy smoke and i dont know if it has overheated as such but it does get and smell very hot.This was the case prior to the leaking expansion tank issue.Thanks