Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Know how Quattro Works?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 02:46 AM
1st Gear
Default Anyone Know how Quattro Works?

I have a 2000 2.7. I recently had to change back brake pads and rotors. I noticed that while the back wheels were off the ground, they spun around freely as if it was a two wheel drive. I was wondering if this was normal or do I have a problem. I was under the impression that being all wheel drive, the axles would be engaged at all time. I have about 5000 miles left on my warranty and I know how expensive those transmissions are. I would appreciate any advice. I called the dealership and asked 2 Audi Techs and neither knew much about Quattro. Go figure. Thanks again.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:54 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Anyone Know how Quattro Works?

Quattro is complex system, but can be simple enough to understand. The way it works is you have 2 separate differentials (front and rear) each with a clutch built into it. What the system does is transfers power (torque) to the wheels which provides the most resistance (friction=traction) to the system. Thus the tires which are on the ground would be the tires getting all the torque. This is a great advantage because the system doesn't wait for a tire to start spinning before it moves the power around. With BMW's X series and Mercedes 4-matics they use electronic wheel speed sensors to detect significant wheel spin (one tire moving faster than the rest) and then uses the abs to apply brakes and electronically moves the power to the wheels with the power. The disadvantage there being that the car has already begun sliding and lost traction before the power is transferred.

If you have the car on a lift when you rotate one tire, the opposite tire will travel in the other direction. If you have one tire jacked up, and you could apply enough turning force to it, it would infact turn the wheel on the other side along with it. Nothing to be worried about!

Old 08-20-2007, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

good read!

Old 08-20-2007, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

Awww, come on guys, it's so simple maybe you need a refresher course. Heyya! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:02 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Costner

Awww, come on guys, it's so simple maybe you need a refresher course. Heyya! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.
Thanks Dr. RosenRosen.

DL

Old 08-21-2007, 01:12 AM
1st Gear

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I was just wondering. I want to hit the warranty company up all I can before it expires. If I could just get a new set of turbos! LOL. It would only cost me $100. Oh well, thanks again.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:40 PM

CMoney, I have a warranty too, they also told me $100 deducible, what have you gotton replaced and what is not replaceable by the warranty?

Old 08-22-2007, 12:26 AM
1st Gear

The warranty has been pretty good for me. It's paid for its self a few times over. This is what I've had done in the last 9 months:

Timing Belt Etc $1425
Torque convertor $2550
Auxillary water pump $900
Master window switch $170
Overflow reservoir $90
Transmission filter, fluid, gaskets $300
Transmission Cooler lines $130
Coolant lines to the engine $1032 ($32 in parts and $1000 in Labor)
Electronic Control Module $800
CV Boot $215
Coolant Flush $110
Brake Fluid Flush$100
Full Brake Job $950
Control Arm $200
Tie Rod $150
Engine flush $161

I have to take it in for them to repair the ABS mod. Not sure how much that's going to be, but it's covered and expensive. They covered the torque convertor. They wouldn't cover the new trans filter, gaskets and fluid though. That cost me an extra $320 + $100 deductable. The auxillary water pump,master window control switch, overflow reservoir,ECMwere covered. Take advantage of the warranty. I paid about $1750 for mine. The ECM was covered under an Audi factory warranty that was 8yr/80,000miles on all control modulators. The aftermarket warranty would have covered it if it had not though.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:25 PM

Cmoney, Do you have any mods? I'm asking because I kinda want to mod my car, but if that will void my warranty then nevermind, my warranty was like $1700 also, covers up to 100,000 miles, I have 57,000 on the car now.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:11 AM
1st Gear

No, sadly I don't have any mods. I was warned against it because the warranty people said that they wouldn't cover it. A couple of repair tech said to go ahead and do it and if it breaks, just put the stock stuff back on before you take it in. With my warranty company, if the repair is over a certain amount, like around $1500 or more, they will send their own people to the dealership to look at the car to verify the damage and repair needed. When I needed the torque convertor, they sent a guy in from 500 miles away to make sure it was actually damaged and to see if I had chipped or modded the car.

Quick Reply: Anyone Know how Quattro Works?