Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arrrgghh!!!! Why are my brakes still squealing!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:12 PM
1st Gear
Angry Arrrgghh!!!! Why are my brakes still squealing!?!?!?

Okay, so I replaced my wife's front brakes about a year and a half ago as well as the front rotors. I installed Akebono ceramic brake pads.

A couple of months later they started squealing so I took them off and greased them down. The squeal went away but came back about 1 month or so later.

I then took the pads off again and this time used Wurth 2000 to grease the backs of the pads. The squeak went away for a while then came back.

Fast forward to last weekend. I removed the pads again and greased them with anti-squeal grease that Autozone sells. I applied the grease on the back of all four pads, the caliper bolts, and the calipers. One week later and the wife is reporting that they are squealing again. WTH!!?!?!?

Do I need new calipers? Is there something better I can use to rid these brakes of the squeal? Help!!!

Old 01-07-2009, 02:55 PM
2nd Gear

You are encountering the symptom called "ghost squealing" which handling brings a wealth and prosperity to the repair shops.

Just drive with the radio on!

Old 01-07-2009, 03:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nemohm
You are encountering the symptom called "ghost squealing" which handling brings a wealth and prosperity to the repair shops.

Just drive with the radio on!
So, there's no solution to this? I have the same pads on my Bimmer and have never had any squeal problems whatsoever.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 PM
3rd Gear

Squeeling happens because of vibration. Sometimes it can be between the piston and pad. I have been able to stop squeeling by using some of the pad backing adhesive --

I also stopped squeeling when I refused to let my wife ride with me - but I got cold at night. The heated seats sure came in handy !

Old 01-08-2009, 12:52 PM
2nd Gear

The anti-cease grease should be applied on pads surfaces and caliper bracket surfaces where pads move.
Proven solution is to use silicone to glue-dampen the touch between the pads and pistons.
Leave silicone to cure (10-15 min) before put the pads in.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nemohm
The anti-cease grease should be applied on pads surfaces and caliper bracket surfaces where pads move.
Proven solution is to use silicone to glue-dampen the touch between the pads and pistons.
Leave silicone to cure (10-15 min) before put the pads in.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot and report back.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Wrong rotors???

this may sound crazy, but I have a 2001 a6 2.7t...I had new brakes and rotors put on and had the same problem.. it took a couple of trips to the repair shop(at their expense) and they finally found out that they actually make 2 different sets of rotors for that vehicle, which are slightly different in diameter. They ordered the smaller ones and the problem went away.. Makes sense, because according to what they told me, the squeaky set, were 3/16 of an inch bigger in diameter than the 2nd set they ordered...Just a thought, maybe this will help you out...Good Luck...PS, I feel your pain, I had my share of annoying/unexplainable problems that just wouldn't go away

Old 02-14-2009, 10:49 PM

marcb0127t,
I also have a 2001 A6 2.7T that the brakes are going nuts on......I had the dealership run the VIN and they told me I had the 321mm rotors, those were the pads I ordered, brakes still driving me crazy. Although I haven't tried the suggestions here yet but I an going to get desperate if they don't work it is ridiculously loud.

FYI rotor sizes on this year include 321mm and 288mm I don't know what determines the size though.