Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATD (Automatic Transmission Disease)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:30 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that my transmission was shot. It was slipping on fourth only and my check engine light would come on giving me a p0734 code "fourth gear ratio incorrect". I drained the fluid and it was tar black. I mean this fluid looked like pitch black syrup. I had a heavy sludge build up and knew immediately that this transmission has to be dropped. I never changed my valve body. I just dipped it into a huge barrel of deisel fuel and washed it in there without taking it apart. I rebuilt my transmission myself and put back the same valve body and it shifts my gears beautifully. Valve body is nothing special. Looks like and operates like any other american car valvebody.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:52 AM
1st Gear

Don't sell it or trade it in. There is most likely just a fluid issue. If there is a low fluid issue you will see a incorrect gear ratio code. If you have bad fluid it can get into all the parts of the trans.

Also let it be known that you can have just enough fluid missing to create the trans slipping. REMEMBER you need to fill the trans with fluid WHILE THE CAR IS RUNNING. Some people don't do this and this may cause the fluid to be low enough to slip but not get a code.

Worst case of the worst case. I know some one with a stock 4.2 trans that you can buy. But I don't think that is it.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Default Problem Solved

Just got the car back from AAMCO, they put new clutch hub and clutch hub bearings 2nd set, charged me for an overhaul kit, filling the transmission all totaled $4175. Not sure what actually solved the problem cause all gears were slipping and they only replaced "the 2nd set" clutch hub and bearing, but the car shifts beautifully and the tiptronic is working great. I know they removed the transmission because I paid them a visit on day 2. Their mechanic told me that he almost quit that day(ha ha). Say what you will about AAMCO but these guys did a good job and gave me a 12 month 12000 mile warranty on what they did, and were nearly $3400 dollars less than the local european repair shop.

So for now, thanks again for everyones help, and I am very happy to have my car back, I've missed it greatly....

Old 02-18-2009, 09:51 PM

COuld you post some contact info for that AAMCO place? Seems like, as a franchise, pricing and familiarity with Audi is going to vary, and if they really can provide guidance to help someone avoid the full ride for $8K by providing a phone consult- that would be nice.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:04 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by JamesandanA6
Just got the car back from AAMCO, they put new clutch hub and clutch hub bearings 2nd set, charged me for an overhaul kit, filling the transmission all totaled $4175. Not sure what actually solved the problem cause all gears were slipping and they only replaced "the 2nd set" clutch hub and bearing, but the car shifts beautifully and the tiptronic is working great. I know they removed the transmission because I paid them a visit on day 2. Their mechanic told me that he almost quit that day(ha ha). Say what you will about AAMCO but these guys did a good job and gave me a 12 month 12000 mile warranty on what they did, and were nearly $3400 dollars less than the local european repair shop.

So for now, thanks again for everyones help, and I am very happy to have my car back, I've missed it greatly....
This makes me wonder if the problem was the fluid level or the parts they replaced, but it is great you got the vehicle back --

Old 07-15-2010, 11:59 AM
1st Gear
Default trans problems

The ZF 5HP24A has a problem with the " A " clutch hub tearing loose at the snap ring. This problem is so common, that there are currently no new "A" hubs available in the US at this time. Part# 139554A