Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 03:24 AM
Default Audi ?

So, I'm looking at getting an Audi, and was wondering what the "experts" have to say about an '02+ A6 Quattro? I was previously considering an A4, but that didn't happen as I bought a Lincoln Continental instead. Well, time to part with the boat (Lincoln) and get something else. I was looking at a BMW 528i or 540i, but I live in North Dakota and a RWD makes NO sense, even if I do have a Dodge Ram as well. I want something big enough accommodate 4 full grown people occasionally, have plenty of power to get down the interstate, as well as have a little bit of fun.

I'm a recent college graduate so I'm on a tight budget as now I get to pay for all the fun I had over my collegiate career. I want something reliable, comfortable, sporty, and did I mention reliable? There is a limited supply of places to get German cars worked on locally, so my understanding is that parts/labor rates are at a premium.

My question is, what motor do I want? What are common things to look at that might go wrong? Any specific years to avoid? To stay within the price range I can afford, I'm looking at something with 75-100,000 miles on it. No more, and preferably less. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-19-2009, 05:05 AM
3rd Gear

I believe Audi's are generally reliable given regular maintenance. However, when you're looking to buy a used car with 75-100k miles, you don't know how it was treated and could be buying some one else's problems. Normal operating costs are not out of line for a luxury car, but major repairs are frighteningly expensive. Plan on a timing belt (plus water pump, thermostat, tensioners, serpentine) at 80-90k which will set up back $1000 from an indie or $1500+ from a dealer.

Suggestion is to get a thorough independent inspection from a shop that knows Audis. Try to get a repair/maintenance history from the seller. Drive it yourself, and check every feature...there are a lot of them in an Audi. Check every dashboard control and display, windows, radio, etc.

Engine choices in the 2000-2002 years are the 2.8, 2.7T, and 4.2. The 2.7T can be modified the most. The 2.8 is adequate for power - barely - but relatively reliable. The 4.2 makes plenty of power but the offset is lower gas mileage. Make sure the 2.8 comes in a quattro -- not all did. Later years come with the 3.0 and 3.2 instead of the 2.8. Some claim the 3.0 are prone to problems, but I have one in my daughter's 2003 A4 and so far so good.

On the positive side, this is a roomy, comfortable vehicle with a large trunk. I mostly drive highway winter and it is rock solid in snow. I have put 100k miles on it over the past four years and major repairs were alternator and the clutch/flywheel, which I attribute to the previous owner doing some light towing (which wears a clutch) and then me chipping the car and adding 68 hp. Suspension, shocks, etc are still tight. I'm even running the OEM battery at 138k. I have no concerns about climbing in and going on a 1000 mile weekend round trip.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:45 AM
2nd Gear

when you say reliable do you mean like you never want to work on your own car? The issue with purchase is to get one with the service records most people sell theirs at 90K because they don't want to replace the timing belt and cooling system. I have a 3.0 that had none and it has taken me a while to work out the problems left by the previous owner. It has always run nice just little vibrations and an anoying cold start misfire. factor in 2K in maintenance and you will be golden. It may not be that much but you have to cover your asset.
this site has been a wealth of info and how to for maintenance and parts.