Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi 3.0 Lifter (Cam Follower) replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:01 PM
2nd Gear

There are plastic covers held in with metal retaining clips on each of the cam pullies. Replace the plastic covers they will not reseal, you will have oil leaking from them if you re-use them.

You should only remove the cam sensor on the bank you will be pulling the cams from. Cam sensor is the part on the firewall side, adjuster is in the front.

You will be loosening the bolts on the other bank that you are not working on

all bolts will be loosened on all cam pullies

It gets re timed by holding the crankshaft and the cams in position with the tools. then you will adjust the pullies, belt after tensioned.

I'll get some info to you, sorry, I've been pulling my hair out with a 6.5 diesel

Old 01-22-2012, 09:48 PM
1st Gear

I have removed the plastic covers with the metal clips, loosened the cam bolts, and removed two of the bolts in the cam sensor. The other bolts in the cam sensor are tough to get to but I haven't tried yet. I haven't done anything to the adjuster yet as I'm not sure how to remove it. I appreciate anything you can send me.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:42 PM
2nd Gear

I'm sending you 3.0 TB replacement instructions PDF via e-mail

They have nice illustrations

Old 01-24-2012, 03:46 PM
1st Gear

does the head need to come off to do the follower?

Old 01-24-2012, 05:59 PM
1st Gear

Thank you for the pdf documents. They will help me out greatly. I hope to get this fully apart this weekend. I have everything I need except I'm not sure about the cam gear on the front of the cams. I don't know if I just need to take the bolts out and pull the gear off or if it comes off another way.

To answer chuckstyl5's question, I am not taking my head off to replace the follower.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:00 PM
1st Gear

good to know - i just bought a 2004 a6 3.0 and it has 170K I'm about to do the TB and I'm hoping i won't run into any extra expenses haha --- Can you please forward me that PDF file??

Old 01-25-2012, 09:14 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by chuckstyl5
does the head need to come off to do the follower?
no you can replace the followers/Lifters with heads on

Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jjhackn
Thank you for the pdf documents. They will help me out greatly. I hope to get this fully apart this weekend. I have everything I need except I'm not sure about the cam gear on the front of the cams. I don't know if I just need to take the bolts out and pull the gear off or if it comes off another way.

To answer chuckstyl5's question, I am not taking my head off to replace the follower.
Your going to pop the caps

Loosen the bolts and give it a yank toward you they slide off.
They are not pressed on or anything like that

you do not need to mark the location of them
but mark which one went where put them back on the same shaft they came from. If you cant it won't really matter but make a habit of doing things that way.

However Make Sure You mark your Crankshaft location if your didn't manage to get that crank pin in. Did you get it in? or give up like the rest of us?

I have a yellow paint marker from the girly store.
Had to buy something when she dragged me in there

Old 01-29-2012, 09:04 PM
1st Gear

Have yet to take the valve covers off to check them yet -- I am working on the intake manifold right now

Old 08-24-2014, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jjhackn
I have found a way to get a small ratchet to this plug but i cant get it out. I'm not sure what bit this plug takes but a 6mm allen or a torx bit seems to kinda fit it but are not tight. I made a video but I still can't clearly see what bit i need. Help please!!!

Audi 3.0 AVK crank lock pin? - YouTube
I see you found the crank locking pin location on the 3.0 AVK engine. Unfortunately it looks like your YouTube video got taken down. Any chance you still have it somewhere? I'm having a terrible time finding the proper location...

Quick Reply: Audi 3.0 Lifter (Cam Follower) replacement