Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

audi a6 2.7t LEAK!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Exclamation audi a6 2.7t LEAK!!!!

ok... i own an a6 2.7t and it leaks, which sucks its not a big leak. i got under the car and the leakage seems to be coming from the timing belt. there is a plastic cover that wont let me see exactly what it is i asked two different mechanics they both gave me the same answer " i would have to remove the front bumper and radiator to be able to get to the timing belt. most likely the whole front of the car" they said i would have to buy a timing belt gasket kit, which i have searched for online and failed to found. i would like to know if that is the right procedure to get to the timing belt, and how do i find the gasket kit???..

Old 03-30-2010, 05:42 PM
3rd Gear

Can't answer the "what's leaking" question -- is it water or oil? But ECS Tuning and www.blauparts.com both sell TB kits and I am sure can sell just a gasket. But if you have to take the front off the car, you might as well do the whole TB job. It's labor rated at 6 hours including removing the front end, which has to be a good chunk of the work.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:43 PM
1st Gear

check your aux water pump under the intake manifold if it is leaking it can leak down the front of the engine. you can see it buy removing the front vanity cover of the engine look for the red residue around the hoses and front of the pump.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:13 PM

im pretty sure its an oil leak, sorry for not making my self clear. does anybody have a quote on how much it would cost to fix the leak?? (i hate how my drive way looks with oil stains). i will check my aux water pump.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:37 AM
2nd Gear

You'll find the answers here:

Sticky: tips and suggestions for the new 2.7t owner

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
2nd Gear

Timing belt and water pump are generally done at the same time because it just makes sense to do so based on location. Its not a hard thing to take the front of the car off and do the job, but the cost at a shop is generally 400-600$ plus parts.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

IF you have a leak in this area it is camshaft seal, valve cover, camshaft adjuster.you can try replacing valve cover gasket and camshaft adjuster gaskets first, this does not require putting the lock carrier in service position and its not that bad a job, if its the camshaft seals you might as well do a timing belt service you will have to put the bumper in service position.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:03 AM

i replaced the valve covers the leak is coming from the plastic cover that covers the timing belt. the valve gaskets were $25 on ebay, did it myself. HOW DO I PUT THE BUMPER ON SERVICE POSITION??

Old 04-07-2010, 01:05 AM
1st Gear

Just use this site.....http://www.audidiy.com/. tells you how to do a lot of things with step by step instructions and pictures. This process really isnt as hard as it seems im just about to do it to mine!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:07 AM
1st Gear

when you did the valve cover gaskets did you change the cam tensioner gasket and seal,if your leak is coming from the drivers side it could be tensioner seal.It could also be cam seal,in which case you will have to remove front bumper remove timing belt,take camshaft sprockets off and replace the seals behind the sprocket. you will need the cam locking bar to preform this as cam timing is set with the locking bar. If you have to tear it down that far get a timing belt water pump kit and do it all. check out the diys in the above post theres some real good info there.

Quick Reply: audi a6 2.7t LEAK!!!!