Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

audi a6 99 help wanted please

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Default audi a6 99 help wanted please

hi all, im new here, and am from ireland, im looking for some help and thanks to anyone that can help me.
i drive an audi a6 tdi and my control panel is all messed up.its blurred and writing is distorted, also the picture of car itself on panel shows drivers door constantly open.
could this mean that someone has tampered with the computer?
it is hard to select reverse gear, no problems with any other gear.
the steering wheel seems to squek and creak and sounds like plastic rubbing against steering wheel when turning, very annoying.
interior lights will not work when i open doors. tried switch everyway but it still wont work.
the heater doesnt blow hot air
the temperature gauge only goes to 60 degrees, would that be the correct running temperature?
thanks

Old 11-15-2009, 05:52 PM
3rd Gear

1:=bad lcd panel and VERY common
2:=be more specific
3:= ?
4:=driers door latch is most likely bad, causing dome light issues as well as the always open door indicator.
5:=related to #6
6:=possible bad thermostat. Do you mean the gauge reads 60deg temperature wise or the needle is at about 60%? I ask because my temp gauge only has C & H. Mine always stays exactly in the middle. See pic of my US temp gauge.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeffmlaf...66857122767266

Last edited by Jeffla; 11-15-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:13 PM
3rd Gear

6) The thermostats suppose to open at least at 87°C. The new one I installed in the spring opens up at 90°.
You either as Jeff said have a bad T-stat or just a bad temp sending switch, which doesn't read correctly anymore the coolant's temperature.
I would bet on the temp sender, because if the t-stat would not open at all then your coolant would not circulate through the system properly. You should have experienced by now some boil over.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Default hi

hi and thanks guys 4 clearing up some of problems 4 me and yes while i driveing my cay my temperage gage only get up to 60 and it also can go below any reading on the gage but car has never boiled over nor over heated as i said also iv no heat so need to get to the end of this problem please help me if u can kind regards and thank you

Last edited by martin flynn; 11-15-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:25 PM
3rd Gear

Based on how I understand the Audi's cooling/heating system (MY own experience with it when replaced the TB, WP and T-stat), and on the fact that you have no heat, I would say that a few scenarios can pertain to your "no heat" condition.
1) Thermostat stuck open = doesn't allow the engine to heat up properly; in which case you should still have some sort of "lukewarm" air blown through the heater.
2) Thermostat stuck close =
......a) it would definitely cause an overheating as the coolant doesn't flow back towards the radiator
......b) which it means your heater core is clogged
3) There's nothing wrong with your T-stat, but your Heater Core is clogged, or its valve doesn't allow coolant to pass through it anymore.

As far as I understand (keep in mind I'm not an auto mechanic), the thermostat's job is to allow the engine to heat up quickly by staying closed. That way the coolant doesn;t flow back into the radiator, hence it doesn't dissipate the heat.
After the engine warms up, then it suppose to open up and keep the engine at a constant temperature, because it regulates the amount of coolant that goes through it back toward the radiator.

I don't know exactly if the European models' engine itself is designed/placed exactly the same (in terms of T-stat and WPump location) as in US models, but you can do a little experiment.
As you start the car, all the coolant hoses/lines on the Water Pump side should start warming up - and gradually get HOT, while the lines/hoses on the opposite side (the T-stat's side) should stay cool until the T-stat opens up. If in 15-20 minutes the T-stat side hoses/lines don't warm up at all, then it's a sign that your T-stat is faulty.
If the T-stat works, then obviously you need to look into a heater core problem.
Regardless, I hope the more knowledgeable guys could give you a better insight/advice than I did or confirm/infirm the aformentioned scenarios.

Good luck.

Last edited by chefro; 11-16-2009 at 01:28 PM.