Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 can you please give advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Default Audi A6 can you please give advice.

i am the owner of an audi a6 2.5tdi avant,,, i recently left the car in to a garage to get a new timing belt fitted,,, the garage were i left the car are very good mechanics...
i collected the car and had only done twenty miles when i lost the powered steering and the car started to chug,,, what happened was,,,, the poewered steering belt came of and caught the timing belt and caused the timing belt to come of,, the car has ruined a few cylinders and gone of timing and needs new rocket covers,,, is this an audi problem or do you guys think that this was bad workmanship, advice would be greatly appreciated..

thanks all.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:40 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Audi A6 can you please give advice.

The belt they just put on came off? SOunds like the technician just made a mistake. Story seems kinda odd thou. I cant really picture how a serp belt could hit the timing belt and cause it to fail. Im not familiar with that motor thou. Unfortuantly americans still think diseals are evil. I guess nobody here wants mileage that will spank a prius with some power under the hood too.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear

Here's my take. If a shop was just working on your motor and had it apart. Anything that comes loose, wiggles, squeaks, breaks etc, shoul dbe taken back to the shop and fixed--PERIOD!! If they refuse or try to blow you off, start looking for a new shop. How does a power steering belt, throw off the timing belt???? Please explain further the issue..It doesnt wash

Old 09-29-2006, 07:19 AM
1st Gear

I never ever heard of a power steering belt breaking. Specially around the milage you do the timing belt. I dont think that is in the maintenance book. Sounds very shady, almost they are hoping you do not know how the car works and make up a story. Besides working on the car they should see signs of things that major breaking down dont you think so? I am not very educated mechanic wise and its just my opinion but it sounds like BS.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:59 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like a load of BS. I would say they screwed up and didnt tension your timing belt properly or something along that line. Did they touch your ps belt?