Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 03:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A6 reliability

Because existing sources of auto reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so any significant changes in a model's reliability become apparent quickly.

With enough participants, I'll also be able to report problem rates for any especially common problems. But this is down the road. Currently 201 A6 owners have signed up to participate, which has enabled me to provide some results for a couple of model years. With more people I could provide better results for all model years.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

Old 03-20-2008, 04:05 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Audi A6 reliability

Glad to participate and interested in the results. But when I went to sign up, page 2 did not present any Audi models to select. It was all Japanese brands.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

It sounds like you didn't select "Audi" as the make on page 1. In which case you'll see a bunch of Acura models listed on page 2. Or you did select Audi, but it defaulted back to Acura (first listed alphabetically).

Please give it another shot, and let me know if it still doesn't work.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

Must have worked?

So far it looks like the 2001 and 2002 will make it into the May results, but with asterisks for marginal sample size.

In the August update, I'd like to lose those asterisks and include additional model years.

To help make it happen:

Old 05-13-2008, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

Those results posted:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Because of the marginal sample sizes, A6 results are visible only to members on the site, and with asterisks.

That said, the 2001's 184 successful repair trips per 100 cars is worse than the average, while the 2002's 121 is average, maybe a little worse than average.

With larger sample sizes I could provide more precise and more detailed results, and make them visible to the general public.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

Next update in August. Hopefully I can include additional model years this time.

Interestingly, the number of A6 owners signed up has been staying just ahead of the number of 5-Series owners. Right now the counts are 237 for the Audi, and 234 for the BMW.

Additional participants would be very helpful.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

It looks like the August results will include the 2001 and 2002, but that a couple of other years will fall a few responses short of the minimum.

Help get your year included (more 2001s and 2002s would also be helpful):

Old 08-31-2008, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

Those results have been posted.

The 2001 appears to have a worse than average repair rate, while the 2002s (which have fewer miles on them) are about average. In both cases the sample sizes are marginal, so the results are asterisked and visible only to members on the site.

With the A4, more recent years are much more reliable. Might be the same for the A6--hope to include more recent years in future updates.

The full set of results:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Old 09-28-2008, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

Next set of results in November. 265 A6 owners signed up so far. A good start, but we'll need more to provide solid results for all model years.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:23 PM
2nd Gear

i found this site a few months ago when i was first considering audis. very helpful!i signed up when i came across it and listed all my vehicles.

Quick Reply: Audi A6 reliability