Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 12:16 PM

any check engine lights^^

Old 03-06-2010, 01:42 PM

The check engine light is on, but the analyzer says that there are no codes in the computer.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:44 PM

the check engine light is on, but the analyzer says that there are no codes in the computer.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:15 PM
2nd Gear

I hate electrical diagnostics, and electronics in general. Everyone has hit on everything I would check. While your at it check the fuel pump. Maybe its not supplying fuel to the engine.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:03 PM

I tried spraying starting fluid into the air filter, it didn't have any effect on the engine while it was turning over.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:41 AM
2nd Gear

are you running the free version of the analyzer? There may be codes that wont get scanned unless you have a fully registered version

Old 03-07-2010, 02:55 PM

I borrowed a OBD II from a local parts store. It said that there weren't any codes in the computer.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:58 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jhuffman
are you running the free version of the analyzer? There may be codes that wont get scanned unless you have a fully registered version
That's bull crap -- The free Rostech works OK as long as you have the correct cable.

I would be more inclined to question the the results from an OBDII instead of VAGCom.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

same thing happened to my 2002. it was the crank sensor, look into it.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:57 PM
2nd Gear

first off if your CEL is on you absolutely have a DTC. Unfortunatley generic scanners can not read all of the Audi/VAG codes you need a VAG-COM to read all of the codes.

There is a list on here of members who have them. You could purchase a cheap one on ebay and just ask how to set it up. Quite a few guys have them for about 30 bucks. Or you can buy one from ross-tech.com for $200. I have the ross tech and it works great. I use all the time, sorry to say!

1st
Tell us what engine you have, I'll assume 2.8

2nd
While you wait for a scanner to arrive, check the timing belt to confirm it is still there and not shredded. pull a cover and make sure it is not loose. BTW when was it last replaced? is it cranking over really fast. If it is you have a compression problem- bent valves.

3rd
You need three things for an engine to start. Compression, Fuel and Ignition.

Check Your Fuses.

Start by visually looking for burnt wires, you may have a wire that has grounded out on the block or something.

Since you have external coils put a spark tester in line on each cylinder and check for spark.
If not your problem is ignition related look toward the Ignition control module and test it.

Crank the engine over and then pull a spark plug out and check to see if it is wet. If it is your getting fuel. If not you need to connect a fuel line pressure tester to the incoming fuel supply at the injector rail and test the fuel pressure. If it is low you need to replace the fuel pump. Another way would be to disconnect the fuel filter again and have someone turn the Ignition switch on. If you have nothing then the pump or pump fuse is blown. If you do have fuel spraying out the fuel line with the ign on then test the pressure to make sure it is high enough.

Unless the engine is cranking over super fast I would then wait for the VAG-COM and scan the ECM for fault codes. beware do not disconnect your battery or you may loose that fault code and an important piece of the puzzle.

Let us know what you find or really what you don't find spark compression or fuel.

good luck

Quick Reply: Audi A6 won't start