Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

1007stoneman

How did you resolve the turn over but not start issue, as I think I have the same issue.

Hope all went well for you, please,ease advise.

Kind regards,
Ryans

Old 01-01-2013, 04:54 PM

Ok so having troblem with my audi a6 2.7t it sometime lack power and just wants to die out of nowhere .. and sometime if just idleing it will kill the motor.. and sometime go to start it and it turn over but won't start.. so I read on here someone put starter fuild in the throtle body so I did that and the car started up... but didn't fix the promlem because it still won't start sometimes but is better than before any ideas

Old 01-03-2013, 12:36 AM
2nd Gear

test the fuel pump, filter and fuel pressure regulator.
spraying starter fluid into the intake bypasses the fuel delivery system.
so if it starts that way you have issues with the fuel delivery system.

Replace the filter first. it may be clogged

If the car stalls then restarts after it sits a while I would bet it's the pump.
They tend to quit when hot and work when cool as they are on the way out.

you can also test the fuel pressure at the rail.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:49 PM

How wouldi test the fuel pump ?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 AM
2nd Gear

that depends.

First test the pressure at the fuel rail on your engine.

sometimes pump work fine, then heat up and seize, cool off and work again.
if that is what is actually happening. When it seizes you will not be getting any fuel to the rail.

In this case you may allow it to heat up and seize, connect a pressure tester to the rail and see if you have any pressure. If none or very little there is your problem.

They car will be hot so, avoid simply removing the fuel filter or a line to test it.
because if it is not the problem you will shoot fuel all over a hot engine and or exhaust system.

Another problem with fuel related issues is a restricted line. crap and or water/ice in the fuel filter will do this so make sure that thing is new.
it should be in the fuel line under the rear passenger seat. It unscrews.

Yet another issue could be the fuel pressure regulator. It is attached to the fuel rail. it has a vacuum line on it. make sure the vac line is in good shape. also make sure that when you remove the vac line, fuel does not come through the port it is attached to. make sure that fuel is not leaking from it as well.

So that we are clear as your hunting around for the problem. Starting fluid bypasses the fuel system. If your car starts on fluid, That proves your fuel system is the culprit. Highly unlikely that all of your injectors have gone bad at once. But these cars have a lot going on today and the fuel system is controlled by several sensors/modules and the ecm.

I would start here
check all codes with a vag-com.
check the fuel pressure at the rail.
replace the fuel filter.
inspect the lines for damage or kinks.
check the old fuel filter and see what comes out of it, Plugged???
check the pressure at the rail, if low-replace the pump.
if ok test the regulator.
if all of that is ok.
put "noids" on your injector lines and see if they are getting power.
if all of that is ok.
you may have a bad ecm or module or...
HOUSTON you have a problem an will need to fly me in

You need a bently manual. you can purchase one at bentleypublishers.com they are very good and will explain how to replace your pump and fuel line pressure etc.

If this is way too much techy stuff for you and your going to go about it just replacing parts and hoping for the best. (I'm not insulting you, most paid mechanics do this anyway)
Buy a fuel pump, fuel filter and a regulator and 10' of oem braided vacuum line.Replace it all.

note empty the fuel out of the tank first, the job is easy when they are light.

for parts
OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning
Discount Auto Parts Online -- PartsGeek.com - Domestic & Import Auto Parts Warehouse

Old 04-15-2013, 09:40 PM
1st Gear
Default my car will not start

I drive a 99 a6 avant and I have replaced the starter and the igniton switch and the battery and it will not even make a sound that it wants to turnover... No clicking like it usually does when the battery is dead... No sound at all... All of my lights work and everything else but it still will not start

Old 06-23-2013, 01:14 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AnthonyNichols
I drive a 99 a6 avant and I have replaced the starter and the igniton switch and the battery and it will not even make a sound that it wants to turnover... No clicking like it usually does when the battery is dead... No sound at all... All of my lights work and everything else but it still will not start
Did you find a solution? Same car. but I changed the ect sensor and it won't crank. Lights work, dash lights come on. Advice appreciated.