Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi Convert Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 04:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi Convert Questions

Just went from a 97 528i to a 2001 A6 4.2 cause I’m tired of sliding around in the winter (even with 4 snow tires on the BMW) in PA. The A6 has 85K miles on it but it was a one owner and the book has all the stamps, although it looks like the previous owner stopped doing the larger services after 50K when it started costing him money. I have a copy of all the service records from the dealer, but have a few questions. My main question is on the timing belt. I know there are lots of posts on this advising everyone to get it done before 90K, but this is my take on it from what I have read and researched. The older timing belts were supposed to be replaced at 90K but had some premature failures; not sure if there are reports of premature failures on the 105K ones that are made out of newer materials. I have read that the 00-01 4.2 engines are NOT zero clearance so even if it went there should not be any top end damage. I know there will be lots of feedback on this with just do it advice, but keep in mind I paid $13.4 K for this car and can afford to take some educated risk and wait til 100K.

The maintenance manual that has the stamps has some stuff that is wrong. For example, there is no Haldex clutch on this car to change the oil and filter at every 20K. It also says there are 2 belts to replace at 80K but I only see one and bought that one at Pep Boys for 39.99 (Dayco). Are there 2 belts? Where do you guys buy your parts? Pep Boys wants 49.99 for a cabin filter but I can get one at Pelican Parts for 19.75.

Are there any good DIY with pictures for changing the air filter and belts? I found some good ones on changing the plugs and oil filter at http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/ . I did order a Bentley manual from Amazon but it hasn’t arrived yet.

The service records say that the wheels and tires were switched at 15 miles. Not sure why. What is the code for the sport package in the maintenance manual? I don’t think I have it, but the wheel switch has me wondering. Tirerack doesn’t carry any 235x50x16 tires for this car. Where else is a good place to get them? I think I’ll look for some larger wheels for it next spring and just use the 16s in the winter. PA has some of the worst roads in the US, so I’m not sure 19s would be a good idea but maybe 18s are a good compromise.

I know the exterior color is Nemo Blue, but where is the code for the interior and where is a good Audi code converter? I found this one -http://igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx - is there a better one?

Car had an alignment every 30K. Is that about right for this car?

Had a cowling drain issue at 45K causing water in front passenger compartment. Fix was to clean out the cowling and drain. Is the drain under the battery?

Recall JC at 59K in 9/04. Anyone know what that was?[/ol] Some facts about the service on the car if anyone is interested:
Looks like tires were good for about 30K in the front and 40K in the rear (must have been a careful driver – no way I will go that far!) Brake pads were good for about 40K front and back. Some issues with front rotors warping around 40K and were replaced. I’ll probably need to do new rotors next time I do brakes. Stuff that has been replaced – O2 sensors (37K), front propeller shaft seal (44k), front outer CV boots (left 45K, right 59K), front tie rods (59K), oil cooler (63K), Mass AirFlow Meter (63K), Engine coolant temp sensor (76K), 3 new wheels (were bent -79K), new trans (84K), and battery (5.5 years). This is a long message, but I really like this car and appreciate any feedback.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:05 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Audi Convert Questions

I have a '01 4.2 A6 also, congrats on the new ride!

I can't answer your questions, but I have a couple of comments.

I was under the impression we have interference motors and a TB failure will result in valve damage but I may be misinformed. I would recommend driving easy until you get yours replaced.

Second, I wish my car's previous owner kept such excellent records.

Enjoy your new motorcar.