Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AUDI SMELL

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:11 PM
1st Gear
Default AUDI SMELL

My audi and my buddies S4both smell of burning oil while warming up. Oil levels in both cars are never low. We came to the conclusion that it is an 'audi thing.' Correct or Incorrect?

Old 12-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Default RE: AUDI SMELL

ORIGINAL: TopGUn86

My audi and my buddies S4 both smell of burning oil while warming up. Oil levels in both cars are never low. We came to the conclusion that it is an 'audi thing.' Correct or Incorrect?
I'd say incorrect.
If it is coming through the vents you most likely have a leak in the cam gaskets or somewhere on the engine.

Take off the plastic and check, it is probably dripping onto your exhaust manifold and smelling up the cabin.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:13 AM
1st Gear

I agree, cam seals are notorious for leaking on to exhaust manifolds and giving a oil smell. Also check valve cover gaskets for leaks.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:52 AM
2nd Gear

There is an oil leak someplace. The smell is not an "Audi thing".

Old 12-08-2007, 02:29 PM

i thought he was talking about the smell of the interior cause of the leather, my g/f always ask's why does the car smell like crayons lmao

Old 12-08-2007, 05:12 PM
1st Gear

lol yeah definately not a normal smell.. I can honestly say that my car doesnt smell like oil... or crayons for that matter.. lol just kidding

Old 12-08-2007, 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: cassidyjr

lol yeah definately not a normal smell.. I can honestly say that my car doesnt smell like oil... or crayons for that matter.. lol just kidding
I wiped down the leather with the leather wipes today. I can't put my finger on it but the smell is intoxicating, I don't know what they put in the wipes but i'm like a crackhead now.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:46 AM
1st Gear

yea i have a leak in mypassenger side(and my driver side) valve cover gasket and it leaks onto the exhaust manifold. the cabin induction/cabin filter is right above the manifold so any smells in the engine get sucked in and as the weather gets colder. as the weather gets colder, the more i use my heater and the sucksin that cold, tainted air.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:32 PM
3rd Gear

Leaky gaskets or cam seals may explain thehot oil smell I detect at the first stop after exiting a highway (and driving high speed). I don't notice any leakage under the car, although I suppose the drip pan would catch it. I'll have to check next oil change. Also I don't seem to be losing any oil between changes at 6-7k miles. So other than being annoying, would I be right in assuming there is no harm done.

PS - Marko, if you like handiwipes, buy a set of dry erase markers. I'll guarantee you'll enjoy the higher potency and start lurking around conference room.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

lol or you could just buy the scented markers.. those were always fun in like 1st grade.. I think every little kid is addicted to those at some point haha

Quick Reply: AUDI SMELL