Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Dimming Rear-View

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 12:59 AM
1st Gear
Default Auto Dimming Rear-View

My rear-view leaked it's liquid crystals last week. I came on the forum looking for answers and only was told to buy a new one, to the tune of $200+. I say **** the auto-dim, I just want a clear mirror. Has anyone ever craked open the plastic and cleaned out the rest of the LCD and put it back together again. I just want a regualr rear-veiw, why buy another auto dimmer, to leak again.

Thanks

Old 06-25-2007, 07:47 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Auto Dimming Rear-View

Doesn't sound like anyone has any experience (or at least nobody that has read this thread) but what do you have to lose? I'd say if you are willing to try you might as well give it a go. However, I'd also suggest you check eBay and see if you can find anything comperable that would work. There are a lot of universal fit options out there that most people would never recognize as different from stock....and they can be much cheaper than a factory replacement.

Another option would be a salvage yard for a used one that would plug right in. Maybe you could care less about the auto dim feature, but bear in mind if you have just a regular mirror without the auto dim feature, there is no lever to adjust the mirror when someone is following at night like the manual mirrors of yesteryear. Thus, you will constantly be adjusting the mirror up and down which will probably result in the mount wearing out with time.

I see there is one on eBay right now that is about $80 plus $20 for shipping.....but who knows what it will go for considering there is just shy of two days left on the auction.