Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic headlight adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:19 AM

We just got a 2003 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro come into the shop with the Dynamic Headlight Dimmer Fault on the Dash. I hooked it up to the VAG and I got 2 fault codes coming from the Xenon Control Unit.

00774 - Level Control System Sensor; Left Rear
00776 - Level Control System Sensor; Left Front

Customer did not replace light bulbs and complained it happened randomly while driving and not having the headlight on.

What we have done is clean the electric connectors the plugs into the sensors and made sure everything was correctly plugged in ( trying to find any loose wires ) and cleared the codes. Took it out on a good test drive turn on and off the light, hooked it back up the VAG and No Faults were found.

If the faults would reappear than I would go ahead and order new Sensors which I believe would cost a pretty penny, fortunately for this car everything seems to be operational.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:47 AM

i have a 2003 Audi A6 2.7T -- driving home today i get a symbol i looked it up in the manual and its for the automatic headlight adjustment faulty codes -- i unplugged replugged battery -- annoying error is gone -- but my headlights aint going up and down upon starting vehicle -- any ideas -- can audi fix this with quick diagnostic programming \\
i hate being raped by them --

Old 08-02-2010, 01:56 AM

my level thingy was doing random crap while i was driving on flat roads. for no reason it would aim low, then high, and settle in the middle. it did this every so often for a couple weeks, then aimed themselves down at the ground and the dash light for Dynamic Diming went off on my dash.

i took it to the dealer and they said it was a sensor and will cost about 200 bones. the beep is annoying, but i'm thinking about upgrading to the R8 style headlight with the LED strip.

good luck with the issue.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:12 AM

where are you gonna get that headlight? --- i might as well do the same --

Old 08-04-2010, 01:15 AM
2nd Gear

I removed the motor/s (only one of my headlights was acting up, and that was mostly from a faulty rear sensor) from the actual headlight and that way they only point where i want them too. Ten year-old 35W HIDs aren't exactly that bright anyway, so I'm minimally concerned with blinding people o_0

Last edited by nm3210; 08-04-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Recently lowered A6. Headlight adjustment warning constant- solution, inconclusive

4 months ago I swapped out the factory suspension for the H&R street performance kit. Not having the tools or experience with audi I brought to a local wv/audi tuning shop.
I picked up the car, got in and she beeped one of the long "oh ****, what now" tones and then the headlight adjustment indicator popped up in the dash. But being so excited with the new ride hight and road feel I thought I'd worry about it later.
The lights work fine but hold at one level. Brought it to a dealer, they ran the "headlight program" which didn't fix anything and then they told me the rear sensor was broken and it would cost $270 to replace. I ordered the part and opted to return to the installer of the H&R's.
Now, the rear sensor is fixed (reconnected) and the thing is still beeping and the dash warning has been on solid since the day I picked it up.
Nobody can figure out what to do.
The dealer now insists there is a "pinched wire" somewhere.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nm3210
I removed the motor/s (only one of my headlights was acting up, and that was mostly from a faulty rear sensor) from the actual headlight and that way they only point where i want them too. Ten year-old 35W HIDs aren't exactly that bright anyway, so I'm minimally concerned with blinding people o_0
Hi nm3210,
Any chance you could give a brief description on how you did this, and does it throw a code when it doesn't find the motors? Aren't the motors needed to hold the internal lamp in position? I've been chasing this issue on my 01 2.7T for over a year now. Mine doesn't throw any codes, or warning lights, yet they both aim directly at the ground. I do have vag-com, and can do the adjustment procedure, but once I restart the car, back to the ground they go. I did manage to fix it for about a month by removing the headlights, cleaning the internal motor assembly and connectors, but now the problem is back. I hate having to plug in my laptop at night just to have my headlights point in the right direction.
Gary

Old 12-17-2010, 01:23 AM
1st Gear

There are special screws that require a special looking hex-lime tool
if it's both of the lights, have the dealer do it for you next time you get the car served ask them if they can re-aline them.
they have this special machine that can find the strongest light focusing length, better than any human can do by eye.
if you can't wait you can go to a car shop and buy the tool yourself
remember that if you do adjust them, and do it the wrong way you could possible blind other drivers and cause them to lose control of their car, they could die if they aren't driving a volvo!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:39 AM
1st Gear
Default Similar problem with our allroad--did you get it solved?

Originally Posted by a6.nh
4 months ago I swapped out the factory suspension for the H&R street performance kit. Not having the tools or experience with audi I brought to a local wv/audi tuning shop.
I picked up the car, got in and she beeped one of the long "oh ****, what now" tones and then the headlight adjustment indicator popped up in the dash. But being so excited with the new ride hight and road feel I thought I'd worry about it later.
The lights work fine but hold at one level. Brought it to a dealer, they ran the "headlight program" which didn't fix anything and then they told me the rear sensor was broken and it would cost $270 to replace. I ordered the part and opted to return to the installer of the H&R's.
Now, the rear sensor is fixed (reconnected) and the thing is still beeping and the dash warning has been on solid since the day I picked it up.
Nobody can figure out what to do.
The dealer now insists there is a "pinched wire" somewhere.
We've just experienced a similar problem with our 05 allroad. Had a leaky airspring, after research on this and other boards, decided to replace the adjustable air suspension with the Arnott coil conversion kit. A local garage in Manhattan did it for us, and now the dynamic headlight range control warning beeps and illuminates intermittently (handbook says this should happen only once). Mechanic says they tried everything. Called Arnott, and the engineer there says that, as long as the module was plugged in again for the sensor (and it is, as suspension warning light is illuminated), a wire must be pinched, nicked, or crossed.

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? We're at an incredibly frustrating impasse!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:43 AM
3rd Gear

I lived through this for about 6 months. My headlights were correctly aimed but the icon would go off frequently. Restarting the car would usually clear it, but it would go off again after 20 or so miles. So I pulled fuse #10 and the icon is gone. As I said, my headlights were level and properly aimed when I pulled the fuse.

Quick Reply: Automatic headlight adjustment