Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic transmission weird metal noise in P and N

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Default Automatic transmission weird metal noise in P and N

Hi all,

Yesterday my car started to make a weird sound when shifting from D or R to P or N.
It is a A6 2.6E (motor code ABC) with automatic transmission (code CRD).

When I start the engine every thing sounds OK, when I shift to R, the sound is still normal,
when I shift to N, I hear loud metal sound from the car. When continu shift to D, the sound is gone and the car drives OK and shifts as normal.
When I stop and park the car it makes the sound again at position N and at position P. Then I switch of the engine (fast).

I cannot find a dipstick in for the transmission oil level.

The car is from sept 1996 european model.

Any idea what this might be? I have read in a book (Haynes 3504) that there are 01N and 097 transmission gearboax codes, but my code CRD as written in the trunc cannot be found... Is there a code conversion table somewhere?

I have the sound recorded, so if anyone want to listen, I have it in mp3.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Regards, Anno

Old 07-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Default RE: Automatic transmission weird metal noise in P and N

I have had this problem since I bought my new 2001 Audi A62.7T, which is now over 5 years old. The service manager convinced me this was normal operation of the transmission, and truthfully I've just gotten used to it. If I remember correctly though, it had something to do with parking on an incline and a metal plate. To avoid it, he suggested using the parking brake...guess you would release it after you moved it to D. However, I rarely use the parking brake, so I just got used to the noise!

On the positive side I want to take this opportunity in my very first post to say that this is the most amazing car! It is truly a dream to drive! Previously I owned a '91 BMW 525 that I kept for 7 years, but this A6 is my favorite - wonderful Bose sound system and instant power. So enjoy your car, but see what you dealer says about the noise.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

If its any help to you,
I have a 1995 A6 quattro - 2.8v6 with the auto.....

I experienced exactly the same noise in P & N, only once, and promptly crapped myself.

I then had the trans fluid changed and a new screen filter fitted (whatever that is) and ive never had the problem since.

Gear changes are much smoother too....

Highly recommended

Old 07-24-2006, 12:39 AM
2nd Gear

I don't actually have an auto trans, but here goes:

I've heard of this problem before and it was explained to be a problem with the ignition switch letting the starter run. The starter can't turn in any drive gears (D or R), but it works in N and P. Basically, you are grinding your starter gear. I don't think it is going to be a fluid level problem because it is only occuring in Park and Neutral, which leads me to believe its the starter switch problem. If you want to save money and aren't scared to climb under your car when it is running, you can check the level and even replace the fluid on your own with the help of a friend.

https://www.audiforums.com/m_309195/.../tm.htm#309195

There is no dipstick for the transmission on under the hood, you actually have to get under the car while it is running and check the level from the check/fill plug. Make sure you do it when it is on, otherwise you will drain the transmission. You need either a 17mm hex or 14mm hex (I haven't worked on one in a while). Make sure you open the plug that is recessed into the pan. Expect some fluid to come out, but don't let it drain out a whole lot. Basically if fluid runs out, your level is full, and if no fluid comes out, then you have a problem.