Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Oil leak, mechanic claims its "cooincedence"

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:47 AM
1st Gear
Default Bad Oil leak, mechanic claims its "cooincedence"

2002 A6 3.0 Quattro

I had my oil changed by my mechanic the other day, and my girlfriend picked up my car. The next day, she drove it again, and when she got home she said it "smelled funny". I smelled it too and agreed, so we took it back to the mechanic. He took a look, and as he inspected the car we both noticed a substantial oil leak dripping onto the garage floor.

After the car was put on the rack, there was oil over most of the front 1/3 of the car, and the plastic panel cover the oil pan and other stuff was dripping with oil.

Eventually, he found the source of the leak, which was a funny looking seal in the oil cooler which he claimed had failed. The rubber had become separated from the plastic, and that he said, had caused the leak.

Although this seemed like a plausible explanation of the cause of the leak, I thought it was a bit odd that this would happen immediately following my oil change. To his credit he didn't charge me for this (and he didn't intend to), but this seems unbelievably suspicious, and my gut feeling is that somehow the part was damaged during the oil change.

Has anything like this happened before? What bothers me most is that we were about to leave on a 200 mile trip. Had we not discoved the leak, the engine could have blown up halfway in the middle of nowhere.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:19 AM
2nd Gear

Would you be able to provide photos?