Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Cool Bad Pistons?

Hi Guys, after a while I finally got my passenger side heads off, the valves are definitely bent, I think I need to replace at least 6 of them.

There is some small dents on the pistons, they are barely noticeable I would say maybe 2mm deep if that, I'm attaching some pics for you to see, do you think I need to do something to the pistons other than sand them a little? there is two dents on each piston but I think I lucked out. Let me know what you think.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

hi, i have the same ride with a possible bad valve (valves) in the #6 cylinder.
No compression only in that cylinder. I did a timing job due to a bad thermo and did not use the alignment tools the first time and think I bent a valve after starting it up and driving it around.
I have since done it twice more with the right tools to check and now everything is correct but still runs like crap due to the bad cylinder.
what instructions did u use and what tools did u have to get?
Thanks a million. want to try to tear into this today to check the valves.......

Last edited by AUDIFIELD; 07-28-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:30 PM

Hey Audifield, you won't need any special tools to check for damage on the valves, you will just need a few Allen wrenches, a 13mm deep socket for the 3 bolts that connect the heads to the exaust, and the Polydrive socket to remove the head bolts (I got mine from Ebay for cheap). If I remember correctly you need to remove the intake manifold (the gray thing in between the cams), then you need to remove the 3 13 mm bolts between the back of the heads and the firewall, you can reach two from the top and I removed the third one from underneath. Last you need some small parts attached to the back of the head with allen bolts. If you are having problems with cylinder 6 that will be the drivers side head. I hope this helps.

You can check this post to see how it looks once you take the valve cover out and check the polydrive bolts, remember that I remove the passanger side heads but you need to remove the driver's side. https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=144405

Last edited by Fernandus; 07-28-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Adding Link
Old 07-28-2010, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

hey thanks! what about the cam chain? does the head slip out to the right (in your case to the left) and have nothing to do with all of that BS? what mil is the polydrive socket? did u try to find it at any local stores? it seems easy compared to the timing belt job.

what does this mean?
"Last you need some small parts attached to the back of the head with allen bolts."

very clear on this:
" If you are having problems with cylinder 6 that will be the drivers side head."

what valves are what out of the five per cylinder?
are the two big ones intake or exaust and how did u tell they were toast?
when i shine a light down the #6 cylinder i can see all gas (shiny) and the top of the head looks pitted.
are u going to do the heads yourself?
Thanks!!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 PM

Hey, I meant that you need to remove some small pieces that are attached to the heads with Allen bolts and I was trying to say that cylinder 1, 2 and 3 are on the passenger side and 4, 5 and 6 are on the driver side, so you would need to remove the driver side head to get to them. The polydrive is a 10 mm. I could tell my valves were bent because they are supposed to be parallel to the base of the hole where they go in when they are extended and finally I won't do the heads myself, I'll take them to a friend's shop and he will give me a hand with them. I'll post the results later.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

what happens to the cams and the cam chain?
Thanks......