Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinkers on the blink

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Default Blinkers on the blink

Having read many threads and replies in this and AudiWorld I am fairly confident of the diagnosis to come but would feel much better with some additional input. Here's the story-The front blinkers ONLY on a 1999 Audi A6 Quattro started acting up about a year ago. First the passenger side blinker quit working. The bulb was replaced (even though it looked fine) and the blinker worked fine--for about three days. It quit again. The indicator light on the dash would flash rapidly but there was no action on the front fender. The car was taken to the dealer who replaced the passenger side bulb AND the plastic holder also. The blinker worked great for a couple of weeks. Afterward, it would work occasionally and fail often. There seemed to be little rhyme or reason to it. However, through all of this hassle the back blinkers on both sides have worked without fail.
Most recently, both front blinkers failed to work. When I took it in to a local shop for the annual inspection (required in WV) both front blinkers were out. The mechanic said he could not pass the car through inspection with that problem but asked if he could take a stab at repairing them. He cleaned the contacts on both front blinkers and they worked perfectly --from Thursday through Sunday. Again, there is no action in either of the front blinkers but the back ones work just fine. Also, if it matters, the dash indicator lights blink rapidly when the turn signal stalk is moved in either direction.
I will greatly appreciate any and all input. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:59 AM
2nd Gear

Well usually when there is any problem whatsoever with the flashing lights (and it's not the bulbs) it's the flasher relay (inside the hazard assembly - the thing you hit to turn the hazards on). I assume that this is the conclusion you have made by looking through forums, because that's nearly always the consensus. Have you thought about replacing it?

Last edited by nm3210; 08-04-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Thanks for your quick, helpful response. Indeed, based on all of the knowledgeable responses in the various forums, I am seriously leaning toward replacing the hazard unit . Just wanted to see if there was any other plausible suggestions before diving in.