Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Light AND ABS Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:36 AM
Default Brake Light AND ABS Light

I have a 1999 A6 and the red Brake AND the ABS lights light up every time I get in my car. My fluids are all fine, and I just checked the break pads and cleaned the sensors and everything seems in top shape. However, the back lights that light up in the back window have a few bulbs burnt out. Could this be the cause of the warning lights turning on?

Old 04-15-2008, 10:18 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Brake Light AND ABS Light

The warning light will come on whenever you have a burnt bulb.
You should probably look for the cause of the bulbs burning as opposed to just replacing them one after another. You have a small electrical issue that needs troubleshooting.
As far as the ABS, did you reset the code using a Vagcom? That is the only way it will go away. An ABS fault may have been casued by low brake fluid, but it won't go away if you just add fluid. If the ABS light keeps coming back on then you may have a more serious problem and perhaps need to take your car to a shop for further diagnostic. ABS pump may have an issue...

Old 04-15-2008, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

Sounds to me like your ABS control module is on its way out. When these lights are on, can you connect to the ABS module with Vag-Com? If not, most likely need to get it remanufactured. I used bba-reman.com with success. I have also heard good things about modulemaster.com

Old 04-15-2008, 02:27 PM

how much does it cost to repair? i have the same problem and it came up on vagcom test

Old 04-15-2008, 02:31 PM
1st Gear

I went through their ebay store. Here is a link to one of their ads. It contains some useful information in it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Pa...spagenameZWDVW

Old 04-24-2008, 01:43 AM

can i change the part myself or do i need someone to do it?

Old 04-24-2008, 09:06 AM
1st Gear

It is a fairly easy process. Small hands would be a benefit, as the most difficult part is reaching some of the bolts. There are brief instructions in the link I provided above, and here is another link that has video instructions.

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/Audi/A6_info.php