Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken timing belt... continued

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 12:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Broken timing belt... continued

After my wife's A6 3.0L snapped its timing belt at 98K I hunted around the indie Audi shops in my area ( N. VA ) and the cheapest repair quote was close to $6K. Being cheap and unencumbered by an intellect I pulled off the heads last weekend ( what a PITA !!!! ). No damage to the piston crowns, 1 bent inlet valve and 4 bent exhaust valves which confirmed the results of the leak down test.
I just picked up a complete decent 3.0L engine from "Pick and Pay" in Fredericksburg VA for $400 and I think it makes sense to use these heads rather than repair the original heads.
The total bill for this odyssey is going to be around $1700 including the cost of the special tools, spare engine, and replacing all the plastic vent pipes that fell apart as soon as I touched them.

What is the best source for a timing belt kit ? BlauParts has an Enhanced kit that seems to contain the important stuff for around $515. Any other suppliers that can be recommended ?

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:02 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Paul755
After my wife's A6 3.0L snapped its timing belt at 98K I hunted around the indie Audi shops in my area ( N. VA ) and the cheapest repair quote was close to $6K. Being cheap and unencumbered by an intellect I pulled off the heads last weekend ( what a PITA !!!! ). No damage to the piston crowns, 1 bent inlet valve and 4 bent exhaust valves which confirmed the results of the leak down test.
I just picked up a complete decent 3.0L engine from "Pick and Pay" in Fredericksburg VA for $400 and I think it makes sense to use these heads rather than repair the original heads.
The total bill for this odyssey is going to be around $1700 including the cost of the special tools, spare engine, and replacing all the plastic vent pipes that fell apart as soon as I touched them.

What is the best source for a timing belt kit ? BlauParts has an Enhanced kit that seems to contain the important stuff for around $515. Any other suppliers that can be recommended ?

Thanks for the help.
I've used Blau kits twice and have no complaints. Make sure the donor engine has all new seals and gaskets on the top and check the cams for wear before you drop it in. Good luck. (Don't you just love those plastic pipes?

Old 03-14-2014, 08:41 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
I've used Blau kits twice and have no complaints. Make sure the donor engine has all new seals and gaskets on the top and check the cams for wear before you drop it in. Good luck. (Don't you just love those plastic pipes?
Thanks, I will order the Blau timing kit today. I want to replace the valve stem oil seals on the donor heads but it seems that with the 3.0L I will need an alignment dowel to reinstall the cam carrier as shown in the official Audi repair manual. I found the tool on line for $270 from Assenmacher and Snap On have one for $130 but when I try and order it , Snap On want my Audi dealer id ?????
Do I really need the cam carrier alignment dowel ?, or can I mark the current cam carrier location in a few places and get away with it ? Option B is to take 440 bar stock and turn up a dowel that is a light interference fit in the plug hole. The official Audi tool comes a slide hammer to get it out once the cam carrier is installed.

Last edited by Paul755; 03-14-2014 at 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-14-2014, 09:52 AM
1st Gear

Thanks, I will order the Blau timing kit today. I want to replace the valve stem oil seals on the donor heads but it seems that with the 3.0L I will need an alignment dowel to reinstall the cam carrier as shown in the official Audi repair manual. I found the tool on line for $270 from Assenmacher and Snap On have one for $130 but when I try and order it , Snap On want my Audi dealer id ?????
Do I really need the cam carrier alignment dowel ?, or can I mark the current cam carrier location in a few places and get away with it ? Option B is to take 440 bar stock and turn up a dowel that is a light interference fit in the plug hole. The official Audi tool comes a slide hammer to get it out once the cam carrier is installed.
I thought you were going to drop the donor engine in the vehicle. Not sure on the dowel. If you can make your own I say go for it. Use a little assembly grease on it so it doesn't get stuck in there. Lots of "special" tools are just more expensive stuff we already have in the box.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
I thought you were going to drop the donor engine in the vehicle. Not sure on the dowel. If you can make your own I say go for it. Use a little assembly grease on it so it doesn't get stuck in there. Lots of "special" tools are just more expensive stuff we already have in the box.
Plan A was to do an engine swap, but once the heads were off it seems less work to just swap the heads from the donor engine. I only need head gaskets, water pipe O rings and bolts , everything else I need is in the Blau enhanced timing belt kit.
When it warms up a bit, I will repair the original heads and go through the donor block with bearings, rings, oil pump and seals. Maybe an A6 with a blown engine is in my future.....

Old 03-15-2014, 08:00 AM
1st Gear

Plan A was to do an engine swap, but once the heads were off it seems less work to just swap the heads from the donor engine. I only need head gaskets, water pipe O rings and bolts , everything else I need is in the Blau enhanced timing belt kit.
When it warms up a bit, I will repair the original heads and go through the donor block with bearings, rings, oil pump and seals. Maybe an A6 with a blown engine is in my future.....
Sounds like a plan. When you get to the place where you are dropping the cams back in pay special attention to the seals at the chain tensioner etc. Also use black RTV on the valve/cam cover gaskets and head surfaces per the instructions. Let it cure for a full 24 hours before you light the fire and you'll have no pesky oil drips. Good luck.