Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken valve spring update, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 AM
1st Gear
Default broken valve spring update, need advice

Have been able to install a new spring on one of the intake valves for the #3 cylynder(phew!) and done without head removal.
Now attempting to put the beast back together and need timing advice;
I have the (worthless?) Bentley manual which seems to provide more questions than answers.
Does anyone here on the forum know how you can verify the relationship between the exhaust and intake camshafts?
I've got the TDC and timing belt relationship conquered but the cams were out for spring replacement and I'm not sure how to verify that the two cams are correctly syncronized.
Also noticed the tensioner pops up and down as you rotate the crank... is it supposed to do that?
Including some pics here that may interest those of you that do your own work, especially the front end in the "secondary" service position (note the jackstands) making it very easy to access the timing belt and no AC hoses to disconnect!

Attached Thumbnails broken valve spring update, need advice-010112181918.jpg   broken valve spring update, need advice-010112181939.jpg  
Old 01-02-2012, 06:55 AM
1st Gear

I am assuming that you marked the cam sprockets in relationship to the tensioner chain that routes around them prior to removing the intake and exhaust cams. If so you need to place the chain around them in the same position and sit them in place with the tensioner between them prior to positioning them back atop the head. Its important that you tighten both the cam caps in an alternating sequence and slowly snug them down together.

Once this is done you verify that the intake and exhaust cams are synchronized by looking at the arrows that are cast on top of each cam cap are in alignment with the groves notched onto the actual gear of the cams that the chain routes around. The arrows on the cam caps are located on each cap (intake and exhaust) just inside of the head and nearest to the cam chain.

If you look at the photos in the link attached (from a fellow enthusiast performing another procedure), mainly the 6th, 7th and 8th pic, these show the arrows atop the cam caps that should align with the grooves on the actual cam chain sprockets when you are at TDC.The link should be under the A6 engine (2.7T Valve cover and Cam tensioner gasket replacement) http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html

And yes the tensioner does rise and fall or compress and release as you rotate the engine. This is normal and coincides with the 4 stroke compression cycle.

Last edited by TwinTurboC5; 01-02-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:42 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the post/ reply TwinTurboC5. I'd be lost like a politician at the Pearly Gates if it weren't for this forum.