Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 2.6 Oil Temp. Enquiry

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:05 AM
1st Gear
Smile C4 2.6 Oil Temp. Enquiry

Hi my Audi Oil Temp. normally runs at 65-70 degress on normal day and normal speed below 120km/h...but yesterday i was on the highway doing 200km/h and the oil temp. started increasing till it hit 130degress. Is it normal? When i reduce my speed to about 160km/h it dropped back to 70 degrees.

I am currently using SAE20/40 Engine oil. Could this be due to the engine oil im using?

I would appreciate your comments and advise on this. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 AM
2nd Gear

That's not too high for synthetic oil. Not sure about the 2.4, but the 2.7 oil is cooled by radiator fluid through a heat exhanger under the oil filter. You might check that for good flow. If you still want to reduce the oil temps, you will have to add an external cooler.

Bob

Old 04-03-2011, 07:46 PM
1st Gear

I am not running on Synthetic oil. My car does have oil cooler so wondering whether this is normal temp because each time i make a long distance trip with speed in excess of 160km/h the oil temp goes this way. But on town drives and all, it runs fine with oil temp. sticking to 65-70 degrees.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:24 AM
3rd Gear

You may want to consider changing the oil to synthetic since it has at least one better property than the conventional one: it flows better.
KM/h and 2.6L engine... you must be living in Europe.
If you like to constantly step on it over 180 km/h, then you should consider installing an additional oil cooler, as Bob eluded to, or change to syntethic oil.
Beside lubrication, the oil performs the function of cooling the engine's internal/moving parts, together with the coolant which dissipates the high temp of the block.
The more speed you'll have, the more increased friction you'll have and implicitly a higher temperature. The fact that the oil temp comes back to normal within seconds of letting off the gas suggests that your oil cooler has a good flow and does its job.
However, keep in mind that you have a 13-16 yr old engine. The compression is I bet much crapier than it used to be in its hey day and you run conventional oil with a thicker molecular structure...
If you want to keep the car longer, then run syntec in it and stay below 150-140 km/h. Why do you run it like you stole it? or you did?

Old 04-04-2011, 01:30 AM
1st Gear

only criminal convictions show up on background checks. If yo did not stand in front of a judge and here him say GUILTY, and hit the gavel you do not have a criminal record.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:31 AM
1st Gear
Talking

Well guess i have to use synthetic but i was recommended not to use synthetic oil since my engine is old (not sure what that means) and will have higher oil consumption. Of course now my mileage just reached the 200,000km.

I hit 200km/h because some truck irritated me and wanted to race me so i just floored it and its the first time i did 200km/h in my Audi ever since i bought it 5 years ago. I live in Malaysia and since it was in the autobahn didn't have trouble driving at higher speeds.

I never did more than 160km/h and this was the first time i hit 200km/h

Old 04-04-2011, 12:58 PM
3rd Gear

Malaysia...
I would assume you have a pretty humid and warm environment/weather, so probably that's why you've been recommended conventional oil.
However, you can change to synthetic but run one with a higher viscosity to prevent gasket/seal leaks. If let's say your manual stipulates a 5W-30, you can run a 5W-40, 10W-40, or almost any other number that falls in the "SAE 40 flow" category.
You can understand better if you read yourself

It's the Group IV (4) PAO based synthetics that make the best motor oils. They are compatible with petroleum based oils and fuels plus they have better seal swell than petroleum. Typically PAO based motor oils use no Viscosity Additives yet pass the multi-grade viscosity requirements as a straight weight! This makes them ideal under a greater temperature range. One advantage of not having to employ Viscosity Improving additives is having a more pure undiluted lubricant that can be loaded with more longevity and performance additives to keep the oil cleaner longer with better mileage/horsepower.
--------------------------------------------
Of the large oil companies, only Mobil 1, as of this writing (12-15-2007), is still a PAO based true synthetic. The rest, including Castrol Syntec, have switched to the cheaper/more profitable Group III (3) petroleum based "synthetic" motor oil. AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils are PAO based true synthetic motor oils with the exception of the short oil drain XL-7500 synthetic motor oils sold at some Auto Parts Stores and Quick Oil Change Centers. This leaves more than 20 PAO based true synthetic motor oils manufactured and marketed by AMSOIL with only 4 Group III (3) based synthetic motor oils identified by the "XL-7500" product name.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

Yes we have a hot humid weather all year round with occasional rain

Thanks for the tip Chefro and i can now change just in time for my next oil change cycle. Could you advise whats the oil change cycle when i use 5W-40 or 10W-40? Using normal mineral oil the cycle is 5000km should this be 10,000km?

Thanks

Old 04-05-2011, 10:21 AM
3rd Gear

Well, when it comes to changing the oil people are different. Some people have price considerations, some people don't care about that, some people would not go one mile over a set number, while some others are more "liberal" in their approach. Thinking even further, some people go without changing the oil until the engine sludges up because they have no clue they need to change the oil once in a while...
Having said that, over here the conventional oils are changed between 3000 and 5000 miles (4800-8000 km), while some synthetics can provide lubrication (supposedly) for up to 15000 miles (24000 Km).
It is up to you when you change the oil. If one wants a clean(er) and long-lasting engine, then s/he should most likely change the oil before the "protection up to x km" number that's usually provided on the bottle or container.
With conventional oil, I very seldom went over 3000 miles in my cars, while with synthetic I never went over 7500 miles.
So to directly answer your last question, you could definitely go with synthetic for 10000.
Moreover, it depends on your driving/traffic pattern as well. If you have daily lots of stop-go traffic (urban pattern), then you probably would want to change it much sooner than rather later. And vice-versa.