Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:41 PM
1st Gear

hmm..! why the f... did'nt i not think of that! thanks for the tip! i think i will try one more time to morrow :-)

Old 12-06-2008, 01:02 PM

Perhaps, the replacement exhaust cam is the problem! You should check with the Audi parts department for the correct part numbers for the right side exhaust and intake cams. The cam shafts may have to be replaced in matching sets.
Also, the replacement exhaust cam shaft may not have the same cam lobe profile as the original. This and the sprocket misalignment could be why it won't idle properly.
So, you should verify that your replacement cam shaft is the correct part number.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:11 AM
1st Gear
Angry bad tensioner

the part nr is correct and i think i found the problem.. i have missed one tooth and the new tensioner has been damaged. i will try to get a new one to day. on the top of the tensioner the glideing toubes has been pressed to mutch and its stuck. there is two toubes that glides on the top,but one of mine is stuck in lower position. that couses the exhaust cam not to hit the mark. it should open more at the top and then the cam will hit the mark:-)

Old 12-08-2008, 12:01 PM
1st Gear

well.. i put in a brand new tensioner to day and one cam is still a little off..then the other new tensioner is probably ok then.
the onely thing that has to be the problem is the camchaft. if i got this right the mark should line up to where the chainroller should be,like the red mark. see foto nr 3.
i will get a brand new later this week. that should fix the problem..

correct me if i do this wrong.!
i put the intake cam at mark,install the tensioner with the exhaust cam and tighten the bolts for the cam and for the tensioner. then i remove the tensioner tool and the exhaust cam will move and the marks will line up. mine dont go all the way..
if you see the fotos you should see that the intake cam is lined up and the exhaust misses by a little.

Attached Thumbnails cam problem-exhaust.jpg   cam problem-intake.jpg   cam problem-fault-cam.jpg  
Old 12-08-2008, 01:50 PM
3rd Gear

Marks might not exactly line up with a roller...

When I did my cam chain tensioner seals and timing belt, I installed the tensioner first with the depression tool inserted. Then I installed the cams and the chain. It is okay if the cam rotates a bit as long as your chain doesn't jump a tooth. (Highly unlikely)

Well at this point, anything is possible I guess. Check the cam and see if it is the right one.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Site Moderator

You have to bolt down and torque everything then turn the motor over by hand a full rotation before checking the timing marks. As long as you have the 16 teeth between the timing marks they will line up no matter what. If you leave everything loose there is no way they will line up.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:08 AM
1st Gear

i have bolted down everything and used 10 NM torque on the bolts.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Site Moderator

As long as there is 16 links between the marks it fine, you should be good to go.
However if you get misfires on that bank after putting it all back together then you are still one tooth off.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

i start to wonder.... well, the foto from the bentley manual i showing that i should start with chainlink nr one at the left side of the mark on the exhaust cam,and end it with link nr 16 right above the mark on the intake cam. i have done that with 16 links. but if i connect wagcom prog and watches the measuring blocks i get 9-13,5 BTDC at cyl.6.
i also think its strange. the two other cylinders is not showing so mutch of.

i have counted the tooths on the cam and its 21. 360 degrees/21= 17.14.
one chain link is 17,14 so if i had missed one tooth i should get 17.1 and not 9-13,5...right?

Old 12-12-2008, 04:40 PM
3rd Gear

Perhaps your timing belt gear is off as well?

Quick Reply: cam problem