Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Timing On Bank 1 Cylinder Head (Pass Side)....Wont Line Up with Notches HELP?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 05:46 PM
1st Gear
Default Cam Timing On Bank 1 Cylinder Head (Pass Side)....Wont Line Up with Notches HELP?????

I sent my heads out to be redone by a machine shop. I have a 2000 Audi A6 Quattro 2.8L..... The bottom end of the motor has also been redone by another machine shop.. I am very mechanically inclined, and have all the tools for this job of putting my motor back together , although when I look at the heads I sent out when they came back the driver side bank2 cam notches line up perfect but the passenger side bank1 doesnt. I have photos I will be uploading....Why is it that the one head lines up and the other doesn't????? I need to know the correct procedure on how to straighten this out I do not want to crash my motor too much money invested????? I know about the 16 rollers, and crank TDC at cylinder 3 with locking pin, but I need to understand the 16 roller procedure more clearly if any one can help....

Thanks
Thomas

Old 12-15-2013, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

So I assume they installed the cam & cam tensioners during the head job. 1st make sure the tensioners are installed on the correct side. The tensioners look the same , but are different part numbers. Make sure left tensioner on left & right to right. The 16 roller count roller count drove me nuts for a while. Intake Cam sprockets are not the same on bank 1 vs bank 2, & the count depends on how you count rollers relative to the cam teeth & cam notch. The link below shows correct roller count.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...8/#post1370248

Old 12-15-2013, 10:05 PM
1st Gear

Does that engine have dual cams on each head? My 2003 2.8l only had one cam per cylinder. When I had the heads machined removed the camshaft and then reinstalled it once the heads were on and the crank was at TDC.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:11 PM
1st Gear
Default ????

This is my question when the engine is all put back together and the timing belt is connected what are the position of the valves??? When the cam notches are lined up on bank 1 which is the passenger side head the valves are open on cylinder one and two....The head is off the car so when the notches are lined up and you look at the bottom of the head the valves are opened up.. So when the crank is set at TDC on cylinder number three are the valves open on cylinder two and one meaning the piston stroke on cylinder two and one should not be at its highest peak...Do you understand my question now????Exhaust valves are opened on cylinder one and the intake valves are open on cylinder two....Is that more clear for you.....So when the engine is all back together what are the positions of these valves on banks one and two.....

Thanks