Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone help???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 02:08 AM
1st Gear
Default Can anyone help???

Answer a couple questions...

I just recently bought a 2002 A6 3.0 with 40K miles and am already having a few issues.

1) Oil light cames on in the display, I checked oil and it was fine. Put the dipstick back in and started car and light was no longer on. About 50 miles later light comes on again so I took the car to an oil change place and had it changed. Light stayed off for about 50 - 100 miles then came on again. If I open the oil cap and check the dipstick the light goes out everytime for about 50 miles then comes on again.

2) I was driving tonight and the center display in the dash where it normally reads an estimate of how many miles are left in the tank just started flashing 2:00.

Anyone have any ideas on either of these?

Thanks in advance.

-Michael

Old 01-21-2006, 02:35 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Can anyone help???

for the oil problem, i cant help you there.

But i know exactly what the flashing 2 is. It's a part of your cars built in trip timer. It is telling you that you have had 2 hours of drive time and need to rest before you continue driving. apparently audi suggests that you should stop and rest every 2 hours of driving. If you look in the manual it will tell you more about this.

It's very easy to get rid of it. Just like theres a little arm sticking out form the left side of your steering column for your lights and speed control stuff etc., theres an arm on the right side with controls for your windshiled wipers, and your dash computer. The little 'toggle switch' at the end allows you to switch through the seperate programs. You can switch it from the flashing 2:00 back to fuel consumption etc.

and welcome to the forums!!

Old 01-21-2006, 10:53 PM
3rd Gear

As far as the oil light goes, which light is it? Theres a red oil pressre light that suggests a problem with the oil pressure or a yellow oil level light which suggests a problem with the oil level. The sensor on the bottom of the oil pan for oil level is notorious for casing the problems you describe, so long as its the yellow light your seeing.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the responses and the welcome to the group. I also have a 2001 A4 so I will certainly become a regular.

As for the oil light it's the yellow one with the "oil can"

If it's the sensor how big of a fix is it?

thanks,
michael

Old 01-22-2006, 03:21 PM
2nd Gear

oohh 2 audis? I'm ready for some pictures!!

Old 01-23-2006, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

I will add pictures this weekend when I have a chance to actually take a few, I can't wait to share. Seeing all the other pics has given me some motivation to do some upgrades which to date I have done none.

Also I have a website for my daughter who passed away in November, if anyone is interested it is at www.babyturbo.com

-Michael

Old 01-29-2006, 04:36 PM
3rd Gear

Replacing the oil level sensor is easy. Its right on the bottom of the oil pan. Its held on by 3 10mm bolts. Just unplug the connector and remove the bolts. Then put the new one in and plug it in. O yeah drain the oil first. Makes things alot less messy. This is a good repair to make during a diy oilchange.