Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car keeps stalling out... What could be the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:29 AM
2nd Gear
Default Car keeps stalling out... What could be the problem?

Hey guys... recently one of the intercooler hoses got loose and I thought I really did some dmg. I got to the shop and they just put the intercooler hose on and everything was alright again. I drove 1 mile from the dealer hitting only 60-80mph and slowing down to 40mph. Driving 40 for half a mile EVERY light came on the dash board??? The car stalls out and I am forced to pull over obviously. When pulling over the car would only start for 1 rev. I did that 5-8 times to get on the side of the road. The audi people came to see what was wrong... Looking at the car they were pretty confused. They pulled the mass air flow out from the car and it runs fine. They ordered a new mass air flow and nothing fixed. Right when you plug in the MAF the car starts to choke and stalls either after a rev or a couple seconds. Obviously I am having the dealer check out my car and see if anything is wrong. After doing a couple test he found no shorts in the car or anything of that nature.Zero codes or anything come up and they don't know the problem. I have called GIAC/AWE-tuning to talk about the issue... It has been a full day and now on the second with them trying to figure out the issue.My audi guy believes it has to be the chip because he hasn't seen any issues with the car. The car also drove great for the mile I did drive it. Currently I am babying the car with the MAF unplugged because I need a car for work. Please let me know if anybody has had this issue or has any solutions. I need your help!!! thank you everybody for the help before hand.

I have tried unplugging plugging the ECU back in.
Got a new MAF and it didn't work.

The audi guy and a couple other sources say it is prob the ECU program on my chip. GIAC said I had a rare ECU and that they had to make a program for my car... That is prob why GIAC/AWE hasn't contacted me back.

Thank you again,

Sam

Old 06-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Car keeps stalling out... What could be the problem?

Usually when a chip causes the problem, (or the installer of the chip) creates the problem the ECM won't throw any codes. An advanced master guild audi technician can diagnose the problem, but those are rare in the united states. If replacing the MAF hasn't fixed the problem, its either the wiring to the ECM from the MAF sensor or the ECM is toast. Have the dealer swap the ECM from another car and see if it runs ok. Of course they would have to gain permission from the owner of the other car to do that.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 PM
2nd Gear

That is the only situation we can think of... We are waiting for a boshe s4 or a6 to come in -_- It def isn't the wiring, I go to the audi dealership and he checked all that. I am suppose to hear word back tomorrow from GIAC/AWE on what is going on. If all comes to all I also found a guy that can diagnose the car that is a GIAC dealer. I just hope i get the situation fixed sooner than later. Def the ECM misreading :-X... does that mean I would have to get a new ECU?

Old 06-05-2008, 11:28 PM
2nd Gear

I put the stock intake on and nothing... GIAC still hasn't given me any information.. ughhhh Let me know if anybody lives in Va with a boshe MAF on there s4/a6 2.7T that they would let me try Please let me know if anybody has any information aswell.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:34 AM
2nd Gear

I think my car is getting to much air because the MAF is loose connecting to the stock air box with 1 clamp. When I use my hand and pushthe MAF and plug it in the car idles. When i go to rev the car the car once again dies after to revs. The fuel is pretty rich aswell when the car does stall out after a rev or 2

Old 06-06-2008, 04:18 PM
2nd Gear

The other side of the intercooler hose was off. EPIC FAIL!!! sorry Thanks for the post.