Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car smoking from exhaust...!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:17 AM
1st Gear
Default Car smoking from exhaust...!!!!

I have 2001 a6 2.7t and this morning my car started smoking...its about 1 degree here so i let my car warm-up for about 15 mins before i proceeded to drive it....and when i came back out it was smoking a little bit...then when i pulled out of the driveway and gave it some gas it smoked bad...filled up my whole court with smoke....i drove it around the block to see if it would go away and when idling it smoked a little and when accelerating it smoked alot...so i drove it back home and parked it and turned it off. Any clues on what could be wrong?

Old 01-20-2008, 12:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Car smoking from exhaust...!!!!

I have a 2.8 so I don't know much about what might go wrong on the 2.7 and just a little on the 2.8 . The first thing I was wondering is what color is the smoke. You technical experts out there correct me if I am wrong but in general I think white smoke COULD indicate antifreeze getting in to the combustion chamber through a cracked head or failed head gasket. If your antifreeze was not up to spec that could explain this. Black smoke generally indicates oil getting burning off in the chamber so that could be any number of things causing this. I think I have seen posts eluding to the turbos leaking oil so that might be a possibility. I would definitely get that thing checked out asap by somebody you trust. I hope its a little thing -and good luck.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

well to me the smoke seems to be more of a white color if that helps anybody

Old 01-20-2008, 02:06 PM

Check your oil and coolant level. White smoke means water or coolant. Also, is it running hotter than normal?

Old 01-20-2008, 02:50 PM
2nd Gear

Has to be a water based solutions because in liquid to gas transformation steam is white and if combustion occurs then black steam is the output ... water based solutions cant combust ... check coolant is my best guess

Old 01-20-2008, 03:08 PM
1st Gear

So i just went back out there to take a look at it and where the exhaust comes out at the back at..on the ground there is a brown goopy type stuff on the ground....could this be oil...but doesnt oil turn black or blue when burned? One more thing i noticed when i pulled out the dipstick there is no oil on it...completely dry....now if there is low oil shouldnt there be a low oil light that comes on?

Old 01-20-2008, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear

well I believe your check engine light comes on when there is low oil or low oil pressure ... make sure you are not on a hill and the car is off and then recheck ... i would say do an oil change start the car and see if it holds oil or if there is any spots under the car from leaking or in the engine comp. from spraying ... keep us posted

Old 01-20-2008, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

Got under the car and looked through the engine bay and i saw no sign of an oil leak...the only one i noticed is the oil that looks like its coming out of the exhaust pipes

Old 01-20-2008, 06:31 PM
1st Gear

does a blown head gastket sound like it could be the culprit since i just had a bunch a seals replaced for a previous oil leak?

Old 01-20-2008, 07:44 PM

It sounds more like your turbo seals or valve stem seals. I'd place my bet on your turbo seals though. As was mentioned, the alarm goes off with oil pressure, not oil level so you must have enough left in the bottom for the oil pump to pick up.

On second thought, it could also be the pcv valve.

Quick Reply: Car smoking from exhaust...!!!!