Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car starts then dies...but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 01:33 PM
1st Gear
Default Car starts then dies...but...

[align=right]edit delete [/align] So my car has been in a month long battle of not being able to be driven, thanks in part to a lady who does not know what a stop sign is. Well, she ran into me into the passanger side front quarter panel, passenger door, and also the passenger wheel.

1998 Quatrro 2.8

The thing is, the car ran perfectly before this and now, after a month, when I went back to get it from the body shop. The car starts and just dies. If you add throttle it stays on, but once you release it the car stalls, just falls flat on its face.

It is at a dealership (the insurance is still dealing with it), the thing though is that they dont know if they will pay for it (which in my opinion, i will make if they choose not to), so I am trying to figure it out myself.

I read that it might be temperature sensors? I know they had alarm troubles at the body shop so they disconected the battery. But, when I was there they hooked up two battery chargers to it and still it did the same thing.

Please help....[align=right] [/align]

Old 12-28-2006, 07:14 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Car starts then dies...but...

Hooked onto 2 chargers! Smoke coming out the ECU? Ive worked on many Audis in the car accident repair business and heres a few ideas.
First did it run ok after the smash if it went pearshaped straight after did you hit your knee on the key if so it might have bust the sensor round the ig key hole, secondly is your car "drive by wire" there is no cable the throttle is done electric if so i would say thats the prob, another one is a earth wire off, alot of cars if you leave a earth off the thing dont start cos the pumps asleep! Also the idle stab valve is another thing that can play up wants cleaning or scrapping!
Last is your gear box still in one piece, ive seen loads of Audis especially A4 slight tap in the front it just touchs the engine and it snaps the gearbox mount on the box, needing a new casing or in the last A4s ive done 4 of them just wanting 2 lights and a front panel nice easy job........oh no the box is bust and the cars been scrap.........UNLUCKY!
Get the bodyshop to book it in at a Audi dealer and the insurance will pay if you shout loud enough believe me.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:04 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Car starts then dies...but...

Well the dealer figured out that its a busted cam sensor...and they said the only way it could have broke like that is if it was in an accident or someone took it out and broke it.

They chose the first option.