General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

starts runs 10 seconds dies start runs ten seconds dies starts run you get the idea

Old 01-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Default starts runs 10 seconds dies start runs ten seconds dies starts run you get the idea

Hi I have 1986 GT Coupe,ran perfectly,then one day starts perfect runs 10 seconds at idle (smooth) then dies. It will start right up and run 10 seconds then die. If I feather the gas pedal she will rev up 2000/2500 for 10 seconds then die again....anybody have any ideas??Thanks

Old 01-07-2008, 06:26 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: starts runs 10 seconds dies start runs ten seconds dies starts run you get the idea

Sounds likea fewthings.
Does this happen when the car is cold? hot? Both?

I'd start by changing out the filter, even if it's a newer filter.
Could possibly be a pump that's on the way out. To check this, have someone start the car, and you should listen to the pump as it's working...it is loud? is it cutting out, or changing it's "tone"?
Some pumps that are quiet, can be hard to hear if cutting out.

And check all of the vacuum hoses. Any little vacuum leak will reak havoc on the older Audi's.
This takes time to do a through job, but it's good to have an intimate knowlege of your engine anyways.

Any questions, please let us know!

Old 01-09-2008, 02:57 AM
Default RE: starts runs 10 seconds dies start runs ten seconds dies starts run you get the idea

Thanks Sepp, the car does not run long enough to get hot, I have try chasing vac. lines (a nightmare in it self), but I will try the filter although it is not that old....I'll let you know,thanks again

Old 01-10-2008, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

After the install of the new fuel filter, you can crack the line in the engine compartment where it comes from the tank to the fuel pressure regulator..to see if you're getting a good fuel supply. This might help you determine if it might be a faulty pump.

If you are getting good fuel up to the CIS, you might have an issue with the air plate.
Pull off the top to look at the plate, to confirm that the plate is sitting level, and is centered in the hole.

I'll post a link from SJM for troubleshooting your car, it'll help.