Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 04:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Car won't crank

I just bought a 2005 audi A6 with the 3.2 engine. From what I gather from the previous owner, it developed engine problems, so he took it to mechanic. Mechanic said it was running on 3 cylinders. So he decided to sell instead of fix it.

So I'm getting ready to set the timing, do compression test, see if it has bent valves, drop the transmission, replace timing chains and tensioners guides etc.

But the car doesn't seem to come on properly when I put the key in. And it won't crank. I wonder if the mechanic pulled a fuse somewhere to stop someone cranking it and busting up the valves even more.

Steering lock is stuck on and it won't come out of park without using the hidden release button under the ash tray.

Can anyone suggest what I should check to make sure the ignition/steering is good before I start working on the engine? I already went through the fuse box on each side of the dash board, which seem to be in order.

Thanks,
Roger

Old 07-07-2016, 06:02 PM
1st Gear

So I got a VAG-COM and I reset the modules and it started working as it should with one bank out of time. I then pulled the engine out, discovered a bad timing chain tensioner and a loose sprocket on a camshaft. I pulled the head on that bank. I'm taking it to a machine shop tomorrow and they'll put new valves in it.

BUT

One of the rocker's rollers split in half and lost it's bearings. I found 5 of them in the head. I'm guessing some might have fallen out when I drained the oil before I pulled the engine. So next question is, what should I do within reason to find where the rollers went? Should I pull the oil pan? Should I replace the oil pump? Any suggestions?

Also, feels like I'm talking to myself, maybe i'm in the wrong forum? If anyone can point me in the right direction? Cheers!