Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD Changer install

Old 01-30-2008, 10:41 PM
1st Gear
Default CD Changer install

Hi guys

I have just bough a 2000 A6 2.7T Quatro with 72K on it, and for some reason it does not have a CD changer so I have a couple of questions.

1. Can I take it that it is a given that it is cd changer pre wired and it will just be a case of conecting a din conector and bolting in the changer?

2. If i can not find an OEM changer what other brands of changer will work? (I know the OEM's were panasonic)

3. Will the Synphoney standard head unit take a data cd changer rater than the standard music format changer.

thanks james

Old 01-31-2008, 07:40 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: CD Changer install

1 - yes
2 - ebay is your friend
3 - better check your spelling and grammer

Bob

Old 01-31-2008, 08:47 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: bob martin

1 - yes
2 - ebay is your friend
3 - better check your spelling and grammAr

Bob
Fixed hehe sorry had to

Old 01-31-2008, 09:21 AM
1st Gear

1. Yes, your 2000 is pre-wried for the CD changer, so it is plug-n-play
2. Yes, you can use other types/brands of changers, but the connection may not be the same. Best to stick to OEM, whcih you can find for around $100-150. You need to find a changer with the 13-pin round connector.
3. I am not sure what you are asking about a data CD, but I have used burned copies of CDs with MP3 songs taht were ripped (using Windows Media Player) and they worked just fine. All you see is CD# Track# anyway.

Here are a couple of reference pictures for you:

This is the changer mounted inside the trunk bracket:
Name:  DVD1.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  70.2 KB
However, the changer is secured in place from screws on the SIDE of the changer, which are nearly impossible to secure withthe bracket inplace, so best to remove the bracket from the car. You can see the mounting screws in this picture (ignore the DVD player below the CD changer).

Name:  DVD17.jpg
Views: 1711
Size:  59.5 KBThe black screws are M5x7 if I recall, which I found at a local auto parts store.They might be on the changer you find, they may not.

Bracket removal

You can see a few of the mounting points in this picture. It is held in with three bolts and one screw.

1. Remove the tool tray from the trunk cubby
2. Loosen the screw that ison the lower right side of the bracket. You can see the downward-facing slot in the lower right of the picture above. The screw is in an akward location, and you'll need a short philips-headscrewdriver. You only need to loosen this screw (note it is a short screw), you do not have to remove it. Ifyou remove it, it is a PITA to replace later.
3.Remove the bolt in the lower left, which istucked under some sound insulation pads below the tail light.You can see that mounting point in the lower left of the picture above. Just peel back the insulation and you'll see that bolt hiding there. Careful that you do not drop the bolt into the black-hole of the rear fender...you may never find it again!
4. Remove the two bolts are located above the changer slot. I think there are two arms one longer than the other. The bolts are at the top of those arms.

Changer Cable
Here is a picture of the foam-wrapped cable end that you wil need to find. This is from a B5 S4, but the cable looks the same. It is tucked WAY up in the upper right of the driver side trunk cubby, zip-tied with a few other wires. The round connector is covered with the gray foam piece.

Plug in the CD changer, make sure it works first.Power on the radio and eject the CD magazine, load a few CDs (labels face down in the magazine's tray) and make sure it works. Then reintall the bracket and voila! you are done!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:38 AM
1st Gear

Hi guys thanks for the responses, what I was asking with the third question was would I be able to fit a changerthat will read discs that are burned with the data in mp3 .wma format? I use to have an alpine in my Volvo that would not read discs burnt in those formats, just ones burnt in the standard format that is played by any normal CD player.

Thanks
James

PS thanks Boston driver that was/will be very helpful.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:50 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: james0013

Hi guys thanks for the responses, what I was asking with the third question was would I be able to fit a changerthat will read discs that are burned with the data in mp3 .wma format? I use to have an alpine in my Volvo that would not read discs burnt in those formats, just ones burnt in the standard format that is played by any normal CD player.

Thanks
James

PS thanks Boston driver that was/will be very helpful.
I would say no. I highly doubt Audi was putting mp3 cd changers in their cars back then. You can always get a mp3 changer with an Audi adapter. Search, search search. Also check out passatworld.com. Someone recently just bought a mp3 changer and had some suggestions.

Jef

Old 01-31-2008, 10:14 AM
1st Gear

The CD changer will read CDs burned with MP3 songs on it, subject to the size of the 700MB limit. However, you are limited in the amount of information to navigate the CD...CD# and track# only. No song titles or artist displayed.

If you are looking for large volume of MP3 files to play, consider finding a Phatbox, which plugs right into the same 13-pin connector and is operated via the radio controls. You can store a LOT of songs on those cartidges! The only drawback, they are no longer made, so you have to hunt to find one. I see them every now and then on eBay, but sometimes it does not come with the sofware or the dock for file transfers.

I actually no longer use my CD changer since upgrading to the RNS-E navigation unit. Not only can I watch movies on DVD (from the external DVD player show in the pitcures I posted earlier), but the headunit has two SD card slots that can each hold 512 "items" (including folders and songs). I have about 35-40 albums on each of the two cards, which is plenty of music for me!!! Not cheap though..about $1500 or so for the RNS-E navigation unit, not including the stuff needed to watch movies.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:25 AM
1st Gear

Boston Driver, thanks for the info, do you play golf by the way? just a gues from the plate on the front.
James

Old 01-31-2008, 10:38 AM
1st Gear

Yes! I do play a LOT of golf. This is me at Pebble Beach in 2006...I know, a little over the top, but I hit a perfect draw, starting at the right edge of the bunker, drawing towards the tree perfectly...until I saw it bounce and roll through the fairway intothe left side of the bunker. Oh well. Still made birdie with a 7-wood out of the sand trap, short pitch to about 10 feet, made the putt!!!

This round I played with Billionaire Richard Rainwater, although I did not realize it was him until after we finished lunch. At least he bought lunch!!! It was a great week of golf...I played at Pebble Beach, Spyglass, Spanigh Bay, Poppy Hills,Half Mood Bay, and Tehema (Clint Eastwood's private course). Too bad my buddy who owned the condo in Monterey lost his job last year and has vanished into oblivion. He left his wife and kids and just vanished ((

Old 02-02-2008, 06:45 AM
2nd Gear

Boston, where did you bought your RNS-E? It's tedeious to use RNS-D, also, where did you got it installed?? I checked with the guy at naviplus site...proxums or whatever he likes to be called, but he said he didn't have one for A6. I have seen some installations of AVIC-D3, and they look terrible. Therefore, RNS-E is the only way to go.