Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL: EGT Sensor and Running Rich??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:20 AM
1st Gear
Default CEL: EGT Sensor and Running Rich??

So on my drive kinda cross country from Colorado to NYC, my CEL went on in Ohio about 40 minutes after the car had been sitting for the night... The car was running normal and all, so I drove back to NYC and told myself I'd get it checked out here...
Anyway, today I went to get it checked out at a place, and they ran the VAG-COM on the car.

The check engine light has been going on and off the last week, (usually goes on in hot and humid conditions and off when it's cooler and drier) so I thought it may have something to do with the O2 sensor. The dude today hooked up my car to the VAG-COM and although I forgot to grab the codes it spit out, he showed me that the car was running too rich (something like -6.6) and that I had a faulty EGT sensor. The replacement EGT sensor is going to run me something like $450 and the guy said he wasn't sure if replacing it would even solve the problem, but that it should be replaced anyway...

Anyway, I don't know anything of the EGT sensor of the like, so when I got home I started looking around online at it, and I got even more confused. I believe the guy at the shop, but since he wasn't sure if replacing the EGT sensor would solve the problem, I thought I'd either look it up or ask here...

Do you guys think that replacing the EGT sensor will return the fuel mixture to "normal" conditions and keep my CEL from going off again? Or is this a bigger problem that will end up costing more than just a EGTs replacement?

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2007, 12:15 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: CEL: EGT Sensor and Running Rich??

Yes def replace the EGT sensor, it will make your car run rich. And replacing it will stop your CEL from coming on, provided nothing else is wrong with your car. Although, 450 is a stupid high price for one. I got a tested used one for $115 from shokan. That is dirt cheap. And if you replace it yourself you will save a lot on labor. Did he tell you which one went bad? On our cars there are 2, one for each side of the exhaust. I am not sure what engine, you have but if you have the 2.7 the drivers side one is a pain in the butt to get to. Your gonna need more info before you start buying anything, becuase the sensors are supposedly side specific too. Even on my car I dont think that they were.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

The EGTs are side specific so make sure you check. Even if you get the wrong one you should be able to modify the connection that plugs in. That is the only thing that makes it side specific. But make sure you post up the VAG codes before you buy any thing, We can all look at them and make sure you are getting what you need

Old 06-28-2007, 03:44 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies! The shop is ordering the part for me.. I checked ECS this morning to see how much the part costs, and it comes to like $299.30 with shipping... The shop wants just over $400 for the whole repair (which seems like it'd be close to a 2 hour job), and since I am going out of town on Monday and have plans for Saturday and Sunday, I would like to get this done before then, so I may just pay the extra $100 and some-odd dollars to have them do it in a matter of hours. (It would probably take me close to a full day to do the repair since I haven't done it before). Thanks for the replies though! I just hope the car starts running normal, and the CEL goes off... The mixture problem is very minor, so hopefully this will solve things.