Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center screen above steering wheel out/ Oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Default Center screen above steering wheel out/ Oil leak?

Im new at this and I hope im doing this right

I've heard that this is a common problem with the 98-00 A6's.. My screen is out that tells me pretty much everything I need to know when something is wrong with my car.. has anyone had this fixed and know howmuch /where to get it done?

Also, I parked my audi for 4 days and when I started it back up it was smoking.. I think some oil is leaking onto the engine and it built up and started burning off.. could this be a valve problem or head gasket? Is this is big problem? It doesnt do this daily, I think it is just because I hadnt driven it for a couple days..

Any thoughts would help! Thanks

Old 07-23-2007, 11:38 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Center screen above steering wheel out/ Oil leak?

The sreen that shows information in the center of your instrument cluster does go out. There is no way of fixing this besides replacing the whole cluster, which is pricey. You can try to locate a used one or pick up a new one at the dealership and have them reprogram your mileage.
As for your car smoking, before thinking anything bad. I would do a tune up on it and see if that changes. If it is burning oil, it necessarily wouldn't be the head gasket, it would be worn piston rings, which deals with your rods in the block.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:24 AM
1st Gear

i have the exact same issue, but mine is persistant, i was able to narrow it down the the passanger side valve cover gasket leaking out and dripping a little bit of oil on to the exhaust manifold where it meets the exhaust system. has anyone ever taken their a6 into the shop with this problem, i'm trying to get a price estimate.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:26 AM
1st Gear

Did it go out all of a sudden (they usually go out a few pixels at a time)?? Because if it did then maybe you just turned it off by mistake.

Try pressing the button on the wiper stalk that changes the type of information displayed in the center screen, Try it

if this doesnt work and you can't live without it then expect to pay upwards of 1k for a new one. I know sucks.[:'(]

Old 07-24-2007, 07:42 AM
1st Gear

multifunctional display, that is all AUDI diesease Same on my '99
my dealer ask 800 bucks for replace it. But u can buy it on line for 300$ - from used car. They will put your milages on it.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:46 AM

Check out bba reman, they can fix it (instrument cluster) for about $200 + Shipping. Only problem is with the console out of the car you can't drive it.