Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 04:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Changing Power Steering Pump

I stupidly added brake fluid to the steering pump reservoir on my 1992 100 CS Quattro (A6), and despite flushing the system through a couple of times, now find that the pump is noisy and leaking fluid. So I've just ordered a reconditioned pump and hope to fit it myself, since I had heard it wasn't too difficult. I have a cheap workshop manual on CD, but it isn't very helpful when it comes to this job. When I took away the engine shrouding to take a quick look, it seemed like accessability will be a problem. Can anyone please give me some advice on fitting the new pump or point me to where I can get somegood information? Many thanks.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:08 PM
SSn
1st Gear
Default RE: Changing Power Steering Pump

You don't need a manual for that.
what engine do you have?
On my 98 2.8 it's extremely easy. You take off ignition coils, and the pump is right there, disconnect hose and metal line from it and it's off.

It should not be an issue on any wehicle, it's not like replacing a starter...

Don't be afraid to take things apart.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:31 PM
1st Gear

Yes,it has theV6 2.8 which should be the same as yours. I'm pleased to hear it's that accessible, because it looked pretty tucked away whenI took a quick look. How aboutdealing with theserpentine belt? I'massuming that needs to be slackened, right? Or will it just naturally slacken off when I loosen the pump?Many thanks.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:39 PM
SSn
1st Gear

You use your regular socket wrench to depress belt tentioner (it has a square hole on the side of the arm) and take the belt off from the power steering pulley. Also when you unbolt the pulley from the pump, insert a 10mm or 8mm(do not remember which one) allen socket into the center of the pulley so you can hold it from rotating while undoing the bolts holding it. It's tshould not take longer then 30 minutes to do the whole thing.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:43 PM
1st Gear

Great, that's very helpful and much appreciated........