Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:49 PM
1st Gear
Question Changing Timing Belt

Hello

I have a 2002 Audi A6 3.0. It is just under 76k miles and is due for the timing belt to be replaced. I'm low on cash and the dealer wants $3000 for it. Thats a no-can-do for me. Would it be possible to replace the timing belt myself if I have the tools to do it. I've heard its worth a weeks labor and that the timing belt is located in the middle of the engine which means disassembling half the engine. Is this correct?

So,
1) Can I replace the timing belt myself?

2) Where can I find schematics to do it?

Old 07-15-2010, 02:30 PM
3rd Gear

You do need special tools. You can rent a set from Blauparts. AVK requires front end removal to access the timing belt just like ATQ or APB. But in addtion, you need to remove the valve covers to lock the cams in place.

FYI, get a repair manual. You will need it for the timing belt job and any future work. In addition get a VAGcom.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear

It is going to take a days of hard work and heart wrecking decisions. If you avoid the mental crackdown during the installation => you'll get the first one when you crank first after.
Then you'll spend days to figure out what went wrong - in vain.
Then you’ll have a clear choice - to dump the car immediately or continue pouring money and losing quantities of neurons.
The valuable experience should be kept out of your resume.
-----------------------------
If by any chance you replace the TB successfully, having fun => then you are wasting your time here => NASA is waiting for you.
Are you looking to take the test?

BTW - have you ever done a tire rotation?

Old 07-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Normally I am all about the DIY, but the 3.0L is NOT easy. I would really not recommend doing this especially with only a small bit of tech experience

Old 07-15-2010, 04:34 PM
3rd Gear

#1 - Forget the dealer.

#2 Find a good Indy - I found someone that did the labor for less than $400. The kit cost me a bit over $200 and I bought the cam locking tool for a little over $100. So it cost me around $650 and I have a spiffy tool hanging over the fireplace. Unfortunatly the mechanic I used got sick and I can't recommend the guy that replaced him because I don't have any experience with him.

#3 Call Force Five in Concord NH and see what it would cost to have them do it or if they have any reccomendations in Bean Town.

#4 Don't try to do it yourself unless you have a lot of experience working on cars and are willing to spend some time.

#5 Auditech79 HATES the 3.0 because it is hard to work on..

Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

Changing timing belt on 3.0 is not that hard how it seems. It is just time consuming. One other thing, the change cannot be done without special tools (camshaft clamps and crankshaft locking pin), which I found for very cheap on ebay. One advise, stay away from cheap timing belt kits. I had one for the first time, and a water pump blew up in a less than a year, 27k maybe. Also, the V-belt (serpentine belt) was all ripped on the inside. I decided to get all genuine parts and since then I have no issues for the third year.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor

we can supply you with all the timing belt parts you need, and we use only the best quality parts.

(443)242-6436

Old 07-17-2010, 11:08 PM

I did it on mine and it was my 1st ever timing belt job and I'm just a handy home mechanic (not only was this my 1st ever timing belt job, but the most complicated thing I'd every done before this was raising my Jeep). So, w/ that being said, it is definitely do-able as long as you #1 - are great at following directions!! #2 - take your time!! If you can't honestly answer yes to those, then don't attempt it. I spaced it out over 2 days - had it in my garage, plenty of space, no weather, etc. Since mine, I've done two others. I made a write-up - might be floating around on here somewhere still - it was 8-9 months ago IIRC. I know I still have all of the pics on my Flickr page if you want to see what you're in for - www.flickr.com/photos/gonepostal

PS - I ordered from Blauparts b/c they rent the tools and have good instructions - they were actually the only instructions I had b/c I still haven't bought a Bentley. I'm sure there are other places though - no affiliation - just saying that's who I chose

Old 07-26-2010, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

Ok. Well thanks for everyone's help. It looks like I will be doing it myself which I don't mind at all. I want to know more about my car and this is a good step.

I will probably purchase the blauparts.com timing belt kit. Its only $398.00, which isnt bad at all.

There's just one thing, they have a tool rental kit that is $545.00. Now I would get that back right?

So,
1) Would I get the $545.00 back when I return the tool kit?

2) Does anyone know where I can rent tools instead of blauparts.com?

Thanks

Old 07-26-2010, 01:05 PM
3rd Gear

Most of the Blauparts is deposit. It think you get $500 back. Check the website.

Quick Reply: Changing Timing Belt