Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Default Check engine light

I have a 2000 A6 2.7T, for the past week, I can smell anitfreeze.
I checked the fluid, and it was low, so i filled it up, (now the check engine light is off).
Could the water pump be no good. Im pretty sure its not leaking, but I did notice yellow oil on the end of the oil cap
Could the engine be burning anitfreeze?
thanks

Old 03-07-2006, 11:57 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Check engine light

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if what you say is true you may have a blown head gasket. I am new when it comes to Audis but was a BMW tech for over 5 yrs & if you have oil & anti freeze mixed it is a definite indication.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:06 AM
1st Gear

Just a follow-up -Have a competent person diagnose ASAP & dont drive it if at all possible.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:17 AM

Is there any way, i can check if its a blown head gasket?
Can i add any addatives?

Old 03-08-2006, 05:14 AM
1st Gear

http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/hea..._leak_test.htm
A radiator pressure tester will also give an indication.
This are 2 types of toosl that I know of. Hope it helps. - You can change your oil & filter if you find coolant in it ...bad news. I'm not familiar with Audis yet but on some BMWs you could open the coolant expansion tank(cool), then run it keeping a close eye on it for indications - be ready to cap it off & shut it down. - looking for excessive froth/bubbles(combustion gases in your coolant).
- Good Luck Gspeed.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

Just to clarify, did you find antifreeze on the oil filler cap (outside of the engine) or on the dipstick? On my car the coolant overflow tank looks like it will need to be replaced soon and if that leaks it could get on the engine oil filler cap...

Old 03-08-2006, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

True, true. I assumed the inside of the cap not external.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:35 AM

There was antifreeze on the oil filler cap (outside of the engine), not the dipstick. Its a dark yellow oil base liquid. I wiped off the liquid from the cap and pured some valvaine oil treatment. Then ran the car for 20min.
I could smell the anitfreeze, but i can't see it, i check if any dripped on the pavement, but nothing at all.
Im hopeing its not the HG

Old 03-09-2006, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

Sorry G - I misunderstood. Its difficult for me to help you from here. Was your exp/tk over full? If so maybe you have some excess running out(overflow tube) & boiling off on the eng & it may be a small leak(pin hole) that only leaks when hot & boils off. You may have been right about the H2o pump...It may not be circ like it should. I wish I was more familiar w/this eng but its new to me.
I hate to confuse matters but from what "I understand" there are many possibilities for the coolant smell.
As for the "dark yellow oil base liquid" - I'm assuming it's coolant - is that the color of your coolant? I cant see how brake/clutch fluid could have got there unless it was topped off & spilled...? Wish I could you...it would probably be best to find a good independent shop to tell you whats happening. Again, good luck.

Old 03-09-2006, 04:04 PM

is it the check engine light or low fluid level light??, is there yellowish residue on the oil dipstick not just the oil filler cap, if yes its head gasket (check for fault codes)

Quick Reply: Check engine light