Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Default Check Engine light

I bought this A6 3.0 Quattro back in March 2007 from a NY car dealer. This is a 2003 audi with only 40k miles on it. Everything has been great until my check engine light turned on this weekend. I am not sure what the best course of action here,
1. Should I take it to an Audi dealer ? I did try out Don Rosen a week ago to have them take a look at the excessive vibration in the steering wheel when I speeding up. They were not particularly impressive in pin pointing the problem. This check engine light has turned on right after my visit to Don Rosen. So I am not sure if I want to go back to these guys again. I would greatly appreciate if any of you can suggest a better dealer in the area of Collegeville/King of Prussia in PA.
2. Would I be taking a huge risk by taking this car to a local Auto Repair shop ? If not, again, I would very much appreciate if anyone of you can suggest me some reliable mechanic in the area of Collegeville/King of Prussia in PA.

The other question I have is, would it be okay if I take this car on a long drive (upto 300 miles) with Check Engine light on ?

Thanks to all in advance.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:24 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Check Engine light

Even if you never plan on working on your own car you should buy yourself a vag com. I really could not imagine having to go somewhere to read an engine code anymore. Our bmw has an abs light on and we have to pay 85.00 bucks just for someone to tell us why. That is BS.

Who knows if it is ok to take a 300 mile trip with the ligth on, it could be something really simple, or it could be something important. More than likely though it is not a big deal.

A good place to find a lot of info is here: http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html There is a lot of info there so plan on reading, and then reading some more.

Jeff

Old 06-04-2007, 02:23 PM

Always get a check engine light checked out before putting real miles on it. You might be doing real damage or it might be something stupid like the gas cap.

I, obviously, like small independents as I am one. Although the car might still be under warranty and it wouldn't cost you anything to have scanned.

Not that I would want any of my customers going someplace else but you can use a scan tool from like autozone and at least find out what the code is.

We will always check a car out for a customer before a road trip and let them know if it's something that is a big deal or not.

Tripp

Old 06-04-2007, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Jeffla

Even if you never plan on working on your own car you should buy yourself a vag com. I really could not imagine having to go somewhere to read an engine code anymore. Our bmw has an abs light on and we have to pay 85.00 bucks just for someone to tell us why. That is BS.

Who knows if it is ok to take a 300 mile trip with the ligth on, it could be something really simple, or it could be something important. More than likely though it is not a big deal.

A good place to find a lot of info is here: http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html There is a lot of info there so plan on reading, and then reading some more.

Jeff
Hey Jeff,

Got a question for you....I was wanting to buy the Vag Com software and cable for my laptop. Can you suggest a place to purchase it from? Whats a decent price?

OOOO