Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light Problem Please Help!

Old 05-05-2008, 11:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Check Engine Light Problem Please Help!

I recently had a full timing belt/fuel filter/air filter done at the dealer. About a week after the service was doneearly one morningI started my car and it ran rough and shaky for like 30 yards,I took it to the dealer that day. Next thing IknowI am paying the dealer $600for a new battery and a turbo cutoff valve....About 20 minutes after leaving dealer as I am pulling into a gas station my car starts running worse than ever and the check engine ligh starts flashing. I got it towed back to the dealer. That day they show me that after checking the codes for the CEL it came up with 4 pages of codes thrown. They tell me there is an electrical issue somewhere. The next day i pick it up after they reset all the codes. The car ran fine and is currently running fine but the CEL came on about a day ago. The dealer told me that if my car starts running rough then to bring it to them immediatly and then they will be able to tell the actual problem. Please give me advice on what I should do, I just want my car to be good again. Should I not worry about the CEL? Help me please.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:24 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Check Engine Light Problem Please Help!

Please help

Old 05-06-2008, 02:23 AM
1st Gear

would help to know what type of codes you showed and are still showing. i wouldnt worry about it too much if it is running well at the moment, meaning the timing belt job was successfully done. You may have has moisture someplace in the electrical system, that will cause a lot of codes. but get the codes and maybe i can be of more help

Old 05-06-2008, 04:36 AM
1st Gear

Without the error codes it is very difficult to even think about where to start looking for problems.

The dealermight have a print out of the error codes that were caused. Ask for a copy as you did pay for the work to be done.

Alternatively, if you have a friend with a Vag-Com, they should be able to read the error codes for you.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:22 PM
3rd Gear

1. Go to Auto Zone.
2. Have them read the codes.
3. Write them down.
4. Return home.
5. Log on to Audiforums.
6. Click on the A6 section.
7. Find this thread.
8. Tell us what the codes are.
9. Someone will help!

10. Ignore the above if you don't want an answer!

Old 05-06-2008, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

When i had my Timing belt done, my mechanic said that sometimes after doing a timing belt your coilpacks will need to be replaced; which from my understand will cause your car to run ROUGH.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:46 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: RIA6

When i had my Timing belt done, my mechanic said that sometimes after doing a timing belt your coilpacks will need to be replaced; which from my understand will cause your car to run ROUGH.

[sm=massbounce.gif]

This does not make sense unless the mechanic wants to make a bit extra money doing something that does not need to be done.

I'll put the reply differently -- looking for the reason a CEL light is on without knowing the codes is like looking for a virgin in a house of ill repute. (They can be found but the chances are very slim.)

Old 05-07-2008, 01:12 AM
1st Gear

I have actually gone to autozone I will post the codes tomorrow morning, thanks

Old 05-07-2008, 10:26 AM
1st Gear

The codes are P0431 and P1606, thanks in advance

Old 05-07-2008, 03:28 PM
3rd Gear

P0431 - Warmup Catalyst below Normal Efficiency. Bank 2, which means your driver side warm up catalytic converter may be bad or the oxygen sensors may be bad.

P1606 - Rough road sensor, typically relates to the ABS, traction control,and ECU electrical malfuntion. Could be crap built up around the sensors on hubs, but I doubt it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Engine Light Problem Please Help!