Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic failed car salesmanship

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 02:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Classic failed car salesmanship

So you guys should like this. I was taking a long weekend following a business trip in PHX. So while there, thought that I would check out a 2005 A6 4.2 with an OK starting price point. Car was listed as “cleanest ever seen”. Right…

I’m guessing that there was a clear coat bra that when taken off stripped paint at the top of the front quarter panels. Very noticable. Moon roof slide is busted. 55K service never done. Some seepage on a gasket valve. Inside of car was never detailed. Grill had a big dent in it. Best part, the MMI was set to French. I’m guessing that the dealership thought that the sap that finally buys the car wouldn’t be able to tell ahead of time some of the myriad of things that are indicators of previous owners did no more than put gas in it.
Good part was that they let me take it out on my own.

Bad part was that the gas warning light showed 25 miles. I fixed that by putting in a few gallons and putting it through an aggressive test drive for 20 minutes. I am in love with this model of A6. Mechanics were sound, so I figured I’d throw out a price and see what I got.

What I got was yelled at by to owner of this two man operation. He was listening at the door to me walk through a dozen concerns on the car. When I offered a price of $17K (they were asking $18,900) he steps in and tells the sales guy to get rid of me. No counter offer, just insults. Doesn’t even talk to me, just addresses the salesman on how to get rid of me and what the price really should be. Then he walks out. So I sit there for a minute and let him walk back in as I knew he would. He then wanted to know my best offer. I said you got it, $17K.

He proceeds to instruct me on what these cars are selling for at auction and on auto trader. I respond that I don’t care about list price; I care about what they are closing at. He didn’t like it when I proceeded to inform him that damaged goods don’t fetch top price. The owner than says that the $18,900 price was for preferred customers which I am not one of. The price is now $19,900. More insults and he walks out again. The sales guy seemed like a good guy and is giving me the look of an embarrassed employee. I hold up a finger to just await a minute.

The owner walks back in. He’ll do $18,500. He proceeds to wants to know my best offer. You got it, $17K. This point he tells the salesman to pull the car off of the lot and have it repainted white with a black stripe. Good call Sherlock. Surprisingly, insulting your customers and raising your voice is not a very sound negotiating tactic.

But, I do appreciate I was able to spend some time in the car and confirm my decision to buy a 2005 A6 4.2, just not theirs.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:16 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah, I had a similar experience before buying a 540 wagon before. The sales guy said he will work with me on the price. Sticker price was $13,900. I offered $12,000. He talked with his boss over the phone. Anyways after a few conversations with his boss, they said they can't sell it below the sticker price. Who tha-heck pays sticker price at an used car dealership? Although the price was good price, I walked out on principal. I wasted 3 hours on BS.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

I would have been pissed as well, but being able to really experience the car (year, engine) more than made up for it. When I walked in the owner was at the front door argueing with what I suspect was a customer. I wouldn't say yelling, but not far off. I kind of figured how it would go, but wanted to drive the car.

I almost told them I would need to take the car out again to reconsider the price. Can't wait to get the right one.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like they were playing a version of Good Cop, Bad Cop. Do what I do, put your best offer on the table, make sure they have your phone number or email and walk out. Keep looking. If the car doesn't move, they will. But, make sure you understand that you might have to walk out 3 times to get your price. And then, only if they can't find another sucker.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 09-21-2010, 10:12 AM
3rd Gear

Good cop- Bad cop --

I don't play games with these guys - I look at the vehicle decide if I want it and determine a fair price. If they want to play games I smile and walk out.

It's more than principle - I don't trust folks that play games. Remember - you usually get a warrantee of some type (30 - 45 - 60 days) and you don't want a bunch of crap if there is a problem that needs attention.

I use the same approach to buying a new vehicle - For example the 2007 van was purchased new. I did an internet search and found three local dealers and three dealers within an hour’s drive that had what I wanted and contacted them for a quote – no trade in. Two sent me prices showing all the rebates and what looked like good bottom line prices. They were within a $500 of each other. The others gave me ball park figures and they said that they would work with me.

I went to the closest guy that was interested in working with me and asked him to work with me like they said. When he gave me the price – the same thing he said was “ball park” I laughed and said that he needed to get serious. He asked if I was going to buy right then and I said I am going to purchase a van and his current offer was too high.

He played the game – you can’t do better than our price – we have top notch service – we give free oil changes - etc. and I responded with “What is your best price? I can do better elsewhere.”

He said where? And I told him it was at anther dealer within 20 miles. He said he couldn’t touch their prices but they didn’t have all the extra’s. I stood up and said I’m not buying extra’s – I am purchasing a van and thought that they said they would work with me. I guess their interpretation of working with me is different from mine and I am not going to waste any more time. It took about 20 minutes from the time I walked in the door to when I left.

I then went to the folks that were up front about the price and purchased the van. BTW – it was almost $2,000 less than what the other guy wanted.

Used cars are a bit harder but the principle still applies - Figure out what it is worth and deal with someone that has a good attitude.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:04 PM
2nd Gear

I don't think I'll ever buy a car at a dealership, new or used. New cars are a waste of money because of rapid depreciation IMHO. I like used cars but I don't play those kind of games.

I'm glad you guys are smart enough to see through the BS. I really feel bad for people who pay the mondo bucks and basically get robbed because they don't know any better.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

Only time you can "Play" the game is if you willing to walk out. Most people who go shopping for a car can't walk out.

People think that they can out smart a salesman who goes to work everyday to sell cars whereas they only buy a car every 2,3 or 4 years.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:16 PM
3rd Gear

I always feel at a disadvantage with car salesman because they negotiate every day, but I found out that I paid reasonable prices (not lowest, not highest) for the last few cars I purchased, and they've been good vehicles, so who cares.

My favorite story was a 1982 CJ7 that I wanted to buy loaded, from a local dealer. I think I was willing to buy it at sticker, but I wanted to be sure the spare had the same chrome rims as the tires. The dealer said "no" and wanted $200 extra for the spare rim. I asked him to throw it in and he proceeded to inform me that I was one of those troublesome customers who would cause service problems.

My wife and I walked out, drove 20 miles and bought the same vehicle for $500 less with a guaranteed chrome spare rim. And the best thing was the first salesman called me the next day to confess they made a mistake, and I told them too late. You lost the deal by being jerks.

Moral: always have a top price and be willing to walk away.