Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning or changing headlight housing

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:55 PM
1st Gear
Default cleaning or changing headlight housing

Does anyone know how to clean out the fog inside a 2000 A6 headlight housing or do i need to replace the entire housing? I think i can take it apart and off the car but i don't know how to get to the inside to clean it out and make it crystal clear again.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:44 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: cleaning or changing headlight housing

are you sure its on the inside or is it just fogged from age on the outside. someone mentioned a cleaner called plast-X (i think that's the name) in another thread, They said it works great. Does anyone else have any input?

Old 03-28-2008, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

Hmm..never thought about it being on the outside. I'll look into plast - x and see what comes up. thanks.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:06 AM
1st Gear

i think the the front bumper has to be removed on the A6s in order to change the headlights (i've heard that it's relatively easy to do)...

in my opinion: the only way to get that new and clean look would be changing the whole housing.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:46 AM
1st Gear

If the lense is oxidized from the outside, Plast-X is your best solution, but it still will not remove heavy discoloration. If its that bad you will need to wet sand the lenses and then polish.

If it is condensation on the inside, then join the club. I have removed my headlights, removed the cover, polished the lenses, resealed them with 3M sealant, reinstalled and it continues. I have researched this extensively and there seems to be no fix. To minimize the fogging, I have opened the back of the headlight housing for more ventilation.

I have pictures of my headlight removal. I could send them to you if you need. You can do it without removing the bumper, but it takes 2 people, time and patience so be prepared!

OOOO

Old 03-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Banned

just get some compound and a buffer and go wild mine turned out awsome and beautiful

Old 03-28-2008, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

Get youself a clay bar, (not the liquid, the real bar) it'll be your best friend. I did all my lenses and the car. The paint will reflect light and images like a mirror. Make sure you put a coat of wax on afterward.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:45 AM
1st Gear

clay bar? how's that work on the body? sorry, haven't done that before.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:15 AM
1st Gear

Joeski is correct... you don't need to remove the front bumper but it will take much more time and patience, most people would rather take the bumper off (much easier). anyways, if the results don't come out to what you expect, then there is always the option of buying a new housing.

good luck

Old 03-29-2008, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

MIne were heavily oxidized and I used a product called "Permatex" You can get this at any local Autozone for $15. The kit comes with 4 water proof? sanding papers ranging from 1000 grit to 2500. After using the sandpaper there is a polish similar to plastic x and this final step buffs out the cloudness to clear shine- The investment of $15 and and hour or so of elbow grease paid off me- no removing of headlight- I just taped off around the lense. My Audi is a '99 with 200k so I did not want to drop $500 or so for new ones- it's worth a try. Note: I tried using the plastic lense restorers but my lenses were in bad shape (Yellow).

good luck

Quick Reply: cleaning or changing headlight housing