Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate control problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 12:48 AM
Default Climate control problem

Just recently purchased a 1996 Audi A6 Quattro wagon and having problems with climate control. It seems that after the compressor shuts off from accelerating, the air comes back on very warm and stays warm for a long time. Also if I set the temperature to anything other than Low it doesn't cool the air properly and throws out a lot of hot air. I just had a friend measure the freon level and it was good. He told me it was the air conditioning control unit. I just did a search for this and found nothing. Didn't know if this was a specific part or what it was. Any thoughts???

Also, I'm getting water coming out of the air vent under the dash. In other words when it rains, my feet get wet (wearing sandals). Is there a drain that could be plugged and where might I find it?

Thanks! Salud!

Old 08-22-2006, 01:42 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Climate control problem

Not sure about the climate control problem. If you need to replace the climate control unit, they can often be picked up on eBay for short money. I'd suggest the following:

- Do a search to see if anybody else has had this same problem in the past. The forum archives contain a WEALTH of information that's just there waiting for you to tap into.
- Use the appropriate regional forum here and/or on www.audiworld.com to find a good independent mechanic in your area that specializes in Audis (assuming your friend does not) and have them take a look at it.

Regarding the water in your foot well. Fairly common problem. Search revealed this thread: Discussion of clogged drains and how to fix. Now didn't I tell you search was great?

Old 08-23-2006, 02:27 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Climate control problem

Sounds more like a compressor or fan issue. Id suspect the control unit diagnosis as its not the most common failure.