Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A6
Clunk sound when I accelerate >

Clunk sound when I accelerate

Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.

Clunk sound when I accelerate

  #1  
Old 01-09-2012, 02:43 AM
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 13
Default Clunk sound when I accelerate

Whats up I'm just curious to know if anyone has an idea of what this clunk sound is when I accelerate. it feels like is coming from the transmission but I do not know. Any ideas would be very helpful.








2004 Audi a6 2.7t s-line
Magnaflow exhaust , tints , 18" rs4 wheels
 
  #2  
Old 01-09-2012, 06:56 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western MD USA
Posts: 2,955
Default

could be the transmission

or not. it is impossible to diagnose a "clunk sound" on the internets

scan with vagcom? is it a clunk sound, or is it a clunk (something you can feel too)? where exactly does it seem to be coming from? front? back? underneath? at a corner? does it happen when you are turning? just going straight? going over bumps? at a "shift point"? just randomly?
 
  #3  
Old 01-09-2012, 10:05 AM
1st Gear
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 438
Default

Originally Posted by Dri2.7T View Post
Whats up I'm just curious to know if anyone has an idea of what this clunk sound is when I accelerate. it feels like is coming from the transmission but I do not know. Any ideas would be very helpful.








2004 Audi a6 2.7t s-line
Magnaflow exhaust , tints , 18" rs4 wheels
if you have not changed the fluid and filter do so now. its probably low on fluid. if you have a vagcom scan it for codes.
 
  #4  
Old 01-09-2012, 04:58 PM
nm3210's Avatar
2nd Gear
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 695
Default

Check driveshaft cv joints. I really doubt you're going to find any codes because any significant clunk* that produces a transmission (or engine) error code would generally mean your car will go into limp mode.

I had a repetitious clunking sound when I turned corners and accelerated. It was significantly worse when going up hill and this was because when applying increasing torque to CV joints they are increasingly more likely to slip. If your symptoms are similar get your center drive shaft looked at/fixed. I got a used one off ebay and had a local shop replace it and it's perfect no-clunk now.

*let me emphasis that it would have to be significant or repeating
 

Last edited by nm3210; 01-09-2012 at 05:06 PM.
  #5  
Old 01-10-2012, 12:49 AM
Jeffla's Avatar
3rd Gear
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,569
Default

Too many possibilities to diagnose remotely. Sometimes the drive shaft going to the rear has a bushing fail that causes a cluck under acceleration. But it might be only a problem with the Avants.
 
  #6  
Old 01-10-2012, 04:43 AM
1st Gear
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: newyork
Posts: 168
Default

I agree too. Its not possible to diagnose the clunk easily. There can be several reasons for this and you need to make sure first that the clunking is from the transmission only. A damaged throw out bearing could also be a reason for the clunk while accelerating. Yet I would suggest to closely diagnose the problem.
 
  #7  
Old 01-10-2012, 04:49 PM
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 13
Default

Originally Posted by nm3210 View Post
Check driveshaft cv joints. I really doubt you're going to find any codes because any significant clunk* that produces a transmission (or engine) error code would generally mean your car will go into limp mode.

I had a repetitious clunking sound when I turned corners and accelerated. It was significantly worse when going up hill and this was because when applying increasing torque to CV joints they are increasingly more likely to slip. If your symptoms are similar get your center drive shaft looked at/fixed. I got a used one off ebay and had a local shop replace it and it's perfect no-clunk now.

*let me emphasis that it would have to be significant or repeating
That sounds just like what happens, also if I'm going at a low speed then let go of the gas and accelerate again it happens, but mostly when I turn corners and accelerate.
 
  #8  
Old 01-14-2012, 07:23 PM
1st Gear
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10
Default

Check the snub mount (front engine mount). if it is sheared, then the engine can lift off the mount during acceleration and make a clunk sound when coming back down.
 
  #9  
Old 12-20-2014, 09:29 PM
1st Gear
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4
Default 2003 A6 non Quat 3.0 Clunk and front engine lift when accelerates

Hello, I have a 03 A6 and just purchased it today, noticed when I accelerate from zero, I get a clunk in the front and the front of the engine lifts up each time. Can you diagnose please?
 
  #10  
Old 12-20-2014, 09:57 PM
1st Gear
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by zipnsplat View Post
Check the snub mount (front engine mount). if it is sheared, then the engine can lift off the mount during acceleration and make a clunk sound when coming back down.
Is this a normal issue? I think this may have happened to mine. How do I check? and if it is could you approx the cost to repair or can I do it myself?
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
madridlover
Audi A6
1
06-01-2010 11:18 AM
NickBroderick
B5 Models
4
04-26-2009 10:11 PM
hrm
B6 Models
2
06-05-2008 11:05 AM
guitardon
Audi TT
6
07-21-2007 10:46 PM
flyinb501
Audi A4
16
06-03-2005 07:44 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunk sound when I accelerate


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.