Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compare your A6 to....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:06 AM
1st Gear
Default Compare your A6 to....

Having not had a car for ten years, driving only trucks, and with an enthusiasm for European cars, I have decided to buy another car. I have narrowed down to Volvo and Audi, and decide that I believe I like the Audi’s better. I still have a bit of a dilemma, however, in that I am vacillating between three quite different models, for somewhat different reasons.

I like the A6, A4, and TT. No, I can’t buy several, just one. My uses will be mostly commuting, but some several hundred mile trips. Rarely, the long vacation trip.

I really like the attention to detailing, the quality aesthetics, and the solid feel of the Audi cars. The Volvo S60/S80 is nice, too, but the Audi seems to have an edge that is perceptible.

My past includes an appreciation of British sports cars and I did put about 200,000 miles in total on several 900 turbo 3- door, 5-speed Saabs, and found that to be a really great car.

Now, 25 years later, I have enlarged the circle of what I appreciate to include a classy ride. Ride in this case meaning the overall experience, not just the suspension.

The A4 is fun and nimble, though the 4 seems a little buzzy. I like the quality look and feel of it, and the great gas mileage.

The A6 is gorgeous and elicited major responses from my significant other, who has been largely indifferent to the vehicles I have considered. She also liked the TT. It is fun to drive, very quick, and radiates quality. Very appealing visually, inside and out.

The TT is just a piece of automotive art, appropriate to represent all that is great about German engineering and design. Enormous fun to drive, very roomy inside, more so than one would think.

I am 6’ 1-1/2” tall, and leg room is an issue. The A6 seems better than the A4. I have driven a TT roadster and want to drive a couple to see how they differ in leg room.

I may have upset the moderators, as I have raised this question in the A6, A4, and T forums, but I wanted a balance of opinion, since I felt that each model owner would have a bias. Perhaps there are some here who have owned multiple models and can give more objective opinions.

I am undecided on FWD vs AWD.

Discuss....

Old 12-22-2007, 11:34 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Compare your A6 to....

My wife drives an 03 Volvo V70 and we are very pleased with the Volvo. I drive an 03 A6 2.7t and am very pleased with it.

I find the Volvo seats to be the most comfortable, but the Audi is set up more for spirited driving. The suspension is a bit stiffer, where the V70 will roll a bit, the A6 does not.

Her's is the 2.4t so it isn't that much slower, but my 4 year old prefers my car.

Do you guys do anything w/other couples? I went to the dealership wanting an A3. I found that since the wife and I are each 6', there would be no room in the back seat for car seats or other passengers as we push the front seats all the way back. So I tried the A4. Same thing. It does not really offer a lot of room in the back seat with my seat where I'd like it.

The A6 has ample leg room for adults in the back. I've never had to move my seat forward for an adult sitting behind me. So, if you do drive w/other couples, you would not be uncomfortable in your pilot's chair.

Getting back to Volvo, her V70 is in the same leg room class as the A4. We always have to move the front seats forward to accomodate adults. Now w/our infant in a rear facing seat, the passenger seat is so far forward that my knees are nearly brushing the dash.

Many on these boards bash Volvo for their plasticy interiors, but ours seems pretty nice. You can't beat the seats, and it's ride quality is pretty good for those desiring a smooth one.

The A6 has more interior room, a much more refined interior overall and is able to be driven in the twisties w/minimal body roll. I did specify the 03 2.7t as I believe it has the "sport" suspension stock.

Good luck!

Old 12-22-2007, 11:52 AM
SoCal Crew Member

Hey bigsnowdog,

You gave me an easy answer.You've got to go with the A6. I'll keep this short, since I have some painting to do.
[ol][*]A6 is the largest most versatile. This was the most important to me. My A6 was the perfect compromise for me on what I wanted in a car. I have a tunable, six-speed, twin turbo all wheel drive rocketship that I can take to Costco instead of my wife's SUV and still get a ton of groceries. I don't have to sell my car when my wife tells me she is pregnant. You are "bigsnowdog" as opposed to "'lilsnowdog." The TT and even the A4 will be on the cramped side for you. As far as passenger space goes, the A6 wins hands down (TT can't compete here). I've had many passengers in the back seat comment how much they love being driven around in my A6. Also, the trunk of the A6 can transform into a bottomless cavern with the seats down, and is still plenty huge even while up.[*]A6 wins on class. You want a classy car? The A6 can pull in to any valet and will get respect as a proper, full sizedEuropean Sedan. I think this must be important to your lady, since she the A6 elicited major responses fromyour significant other (my imagination is running away with me... where was I?).[*]Safety. I'd rather be in my A6 in a wreck than the other two.[*]Value. You get a lot of bang for your buck on a used A6.[/ol]
Finally, get the quattro for the love of god. Audi pioneered modern AWD and it is their real forte. That's like getting one of your Volvos and telling them you are going to pass on airbags and crumple zones. Besides, any snowdog will appreciate quattro when traction is ever an issue (when is it ever not an issue?).

Your real question should be, should I go with the 4.2, or the incredibly awesome
biturbo 2.7T?<---[sm=signs007.gif]

Old 12-22-2007, 11:54 AM
SoCal Crew Member

(oops).

Old 12-22-2007, 12:28 PM
2nd Gear

Hey
I am 6'2" and 235 lbs. I test drove TT's, old and new A4's, Acura TL's, Volvo S60R', 3 series...
I really waned an Audi, I love their interior, they set the tone for the industry... thes best bar none.
Volvo does have among thebest seats in the industry, certainly more comfortable than te Audi's on long rides, although the Audi's aren't bad eiter. The A4 ad to some extent the A6 will have a tighter sportier ride than the volvo, which is overall softer.

Do you have kids? Do you give friends ride often? If so, you MUST go with the A6, bot the volvo and A4 are short on rear space. I was actually shopping for the size below... an A4/S4 or BMW 3... but having kids, the rear seat as not big enough. In addition, I will confirm te trunk of my A6 is cavenous!!!! Been very useful! My wife and I are able to take the A6 to go out on or go on short vaca instead of the van, even with my 3 little ones. Good for me, cause I hate her van!

A key phrase in your post is... the one abbout your significant other's reaction!If she likes it and is happy, you'll be happy! GO FOR IT... believ me jus that is worth it... and just buy the 2.7T this way you can mod it and make it a rocket that will ut the TT to shame! This you're happy nd she is happy!!

Th TT is a GREAT car, but I was not comfortable driving it, very tight, my lgs were touching the door... Just too tight. Would be a great second car for fun but not my main river especially if you drive long distances. And forge about ever taking people with you!

I think the A6 isan awesome car, my only dislike is its weight... and I would definitely get a manual!

You cannot go wrong with an Audi but DO please DO GET a QUATTRO!!!!!!
It is just awesome technology you'll laugh at faster cars in bad weather! It will put the power down

Brice

Old 12-22-2007, 12:47 PM
2nd Gear

My conclusion, A6 4.2 s-line. You will love the new 4.2 fsi. Plenty of room and a great cruiser.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:40 PM
1st Gear

Two engines are being referenced here. Are you meaning two engines besides the V8, or is the V8 being counted as one? I would not buy the V8, due to mileage.

If two alternative 6's, have they both been available since 2004 or 2005, whenever it was that the new body style came into production? I cannot afford a new one, and so would buy a certified used example, such as 2005 or 2006.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:11 PM

The C6 chassis (2005 and up) is only available with the 3.2 V6 or the 4.2 V8.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:44 PM
2nd Gear

If you want >'04 then definitely get the 4.2L V8, you won't be disappointed. If you're good about it you'll still get over ~21 mpg at speeds around 70-80. Now, the 3.2 (255hp)will give you better MPG, but won't give you the same power that the 4.2 will (335hp).

If you are more concerned with a slightly better fuel econony with less expensive fuel (87 octane vs the 91 required in the 4.2) then go with the 3.2.

If you like the idea of a twin turbo V-6with a standard drive then seriously consider rolling back to 02-04. IIRC you will still be using 91 octane, which is the same for the 4.2, but your MPG will be over ~25 depending on how much fun you're having.

Whatever you do, go with the A6!

Old 12-22-2007, 04:01 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Khardysius

If you want >'04 then definitely get the 4.2L V8, you won't be disappointed. If you're good about it you'll still get over ~21 mpg at speeds around 70-80. Now, the 3.2 (255hp) will give you better MPG, but won't give you the same power that the 4.2 will (335hp).

If you are more concerned with a slightly better fuel econony with less expensive fuel (87 octane vs the 91 required in the 4.2) then go with the 3.2.

If you like the idea of a twin turbo V-6 with a standard drive then seriously consider rolling back to 02-04. IIRC you will still be using 91 octane, which is the same for the 4.2, but your MPG will be over ~25 depending on how much fun you're having.

Whatever you do, go with the A6!

What scares me about the 02-04 age is simply that it is older, will have a lot more miles, and the possibility of big repair costs coming soon.

Quick Reply: Compare your A6 to....