Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 'confused' window

Old 08-24-2009, 08:58 AM
1st Gear
Default The 'confused' window

OK, first off I'm neither a geek nor a mechanic...

I'm a car owner that just loves to tinker under the hood, under the dash and just about any place I can fit a screwdriver or a socket... lol

Before I go and take off the door panel and make a self determination (aka wild a** guess)... I thought I'd try here. Please forgive if this has already been discussed, but in my search I did not discover it... I'm a newb

Left side (=US driver side) window is confused... If I flip the switch just a little bit, the window rolls down and back up as it should (about 2 inches of open)... If I go past that small amount the window will either go up or down when trying to get it to go back up... If the window is all the way down, when I flip the switch the window will go about 1/2 way up and then automatically go back down... repeat the process as often as necessary... lol

If the window is all the way down I can start it goining up, and then while 'pulling up' on the window and using the control switch I can get the window to go completely up (most the time, sometimes it will overpower me and roll back down*sigh*)...

My question then I guess is... Why is my window confused about which direction it should be going in when I flip the switch to get it to go up and it will try, but then go back down?

Accuator, off track, other... all of these?

Thanks in advance for any feedback 'before' the door panel comes off...

Last edited by 1999A6Quattro; 08-24-2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: I need a spele cheque program installed
Old 08-24-2009, 09:09 AM
2nd Gear

Your window regulator is broken. The motor senses that there is too much pressure and instead of shattering you window all over your lap it rolls it back down or just stops.

Order a new regulator it is a common problem. You do not need a new motor.

have the regulator in hand before you pull the panel or you will be doing it twice.

You will need some aluminum pop rivets and a rivet gun to complete the job.

While it's apart lube up the tracks with silicone spray. Then do all of the other widow tracks the best you can. The silicone makes a clear difference in how the windows roll up.

links;

http://www.primepartssuperstore.com/...layCatalogid=0

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...regulator.html

Last edited by Jackmup; 08-24-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:47 AM
3rd Gear

Believe it or not, the window regulator clips are probably the only parts that make sense for you to buy them at the dealer the stealer. They are so cheap that when you add shipping cost, the dealer price is actually cheaper than the internet. I think mine were $7.50 each.

Here is the link from ECStuning.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-...ulator/ES4839/

Old 08-24-2009, 12:34 PM
3rd Gear

This is good stuff to know. My driverside rear window also closes erratically. Sometimes it closes, then immediately re-opens. Often I have to have someone hold the switch "up" as I sandwich the glass between my hands and push it closed. End result is I have the window control locked and don't open that window. I also used a dry-lube on the track. So if the problem gets worse, I'll look into replacing the regulator.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jackmup
Your window regulator is broken. The motor senses that there is too much pressure and instead of shattering you window all over your lap it rolls it back down or just stops.

Order a new regulator it is a common problem. You do not need a new motor.

have the regulator in hand before you pull the panel or you will be doing it twice.

You will need some aluminum pop rivets and a rivet gun to complete the job.

While it's apart lube up the tracks with silicone spray. Then do all of the other widow tracks the best you can. The silicone makes a clear difference in how the windows roll up.

links;

http://www.primepartssuperstore.com/...layCatalogid=0

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...regulator.html
Thanks for the GREAT INFO and the links... Now, I have something to look forward to this weekend... (or next, depending on the deal I can find for the regulator)

Old 08-24-2009, 01:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Believe it or not, the window regulator clips are probably the only parts that make sense for you to buy them at the dealer the stealer. They are so cheap that when you add shipping cost, the dealer price is actually cheaper than the internet. I think mine were $7.50 each.

Here is the link from ECStuning.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-...ulator/ES4839/
Thanks for the heads up on the clips... Oh, fall is fast approaching so I have CFB and my Audi on Saturdays... life does not get much better!

Old 08-24-2009, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
This is good stuff to know. My driverside rear window also closes erratically. Sometimes it closes, then immediately re-opens. Often I have to have someone hold the switch "up" as I sandwich the glass between my hands and push it closed. End result is I have the window control locked and don't open that window. I also used a dry-lube on the track. So if the problem gets worse, I'll look into replacing the regulator.
HA!... if mine was the REAR window... I may have never bothered... Though the dog may have got upset that she can only hang out 1 window

Old 08-24-2009, 02:46 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
Unfortunately, you have to replace the whole regulator assembly for the rear, not just the clips.

FYI, I had similar issue with my rear window and the issues ended up being moisture in the rear switch itself. It basically shorted and was pulling down the window automatically. I disconnected the switch and dried out overnight over a heater vent and worked fine after that.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:56 AM
1st Gear

this is very good and its cost is very low. one can afford it