Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering an A6

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Default Considering an A6

Hello, I'm considering buying a 1997 Audi A6 wagon AWD for $2500, with 129k miles. I've looked at a number of reviews and reliability ratings and it looks like the car will probably be okay. Obviously I don't have a ton of money, so I can't afford lots of really expensive repairs. I'm willing to learn how to do a number of replacements or repairs myself, as it is my first car and I'd like to gain a little experience, as long as it is reasonably affordable. Would you recommend this car for me? Do you think it will be expensive to maintain, and if so how, much do you reckon? Are there any other issues, or concerns I should be aware of in considering this car?

Old 08-23-2009, 07:52 AM
1st Gear

I wouldn't recommend it. They are very nice cars to drive, and it is impossible to predict what kind of repairs you will need, but if you do need to fix something it will not be inexpensive. The 2.8L engine I think is very strong and has a long life potential. Other stuff, I'm not so sure and those problems can be really annoying at the very least.

Typical stuff for an A6

engine oil leaks form the valve covers, cam seals,
secondary air injection and CEL - difficult to troubleshoot and solve
upper control arms replacement
generally complicated electronics means you need a specialized scan tool

True story - I had my 98 A6 Quattro parked in the lot at Lowes and when I came out someone was placing a business card under the wiper blade. "Your car?" he asked. I said it was. He said "I am a mechanic in Black Mountain specializing in Audi - here is my card if you need anything". It just so happens that at that time the car needed a thermostat and some other things. "So how did you know it needed some work and I would be interested in hearing about an Audi mechanic other than the dealer?" I asked him.

His response was "Simple, it's an Audi."

Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:29 AM
3rd Gear

Looking for an Audi in a mall parking lot, or at Lowes, Menards is pretty much like looking for a Porsche.
A mechanic with some experience on VAG cars knows he can make a decent buck doing repairs on these cars. In a small town of 7500 people (Black Mountain) probably you will not come across too many Audis. If I were that mechanic, of course I would leave my business card on cars parked at Lowes or at the mall in Asheville (10 times bigger - 74,000 people?). ALL older cars need something repaired, not only Audis.
Bob, would you have asked him the same question if the car didn't need a T-stat at the time?

John,
I would primarily be concerned with the transmission and the turbos (if it has turbos). Everything else on these cars is pretty much doable - well, at least the C4s. Since December when I purchased my '95 I did a bunch of work on the car by myself, although I had no previous mechanical experience as far as the engine/powertrain goes. I would consider having other $ 2000 - 2,500 set aside for eventual TB, WPump, T-stat, CV Axles, O2 sensors, spark plgs, ignition wires, fuel filter, Cat(s), MAF, ignition switch, Coolant T. Sensor(s), rotors, pads if they go bad and need replacement. Also you'll need the manual and more likely the full version of the most appropriate scanning tool - VAGCom.
If you're willing to learn, you should buy it. What else can you get for $ 2500 nowadays that's reliable and doesn't need a thing so you won't spend money in repairs?

Old 08-23-2009, 12:14 PM
1st Gear

John the C4 body version of the A6 is a pretty good car.. I had one and it never gave me problems other than leaking seals which have to be replaced due to the age. IT is a great looking car very reliable you have to become a fix it yourself person and cannot run to a dealer or mechanic everytime. The spark plugs are simple to replace, the filters are very easy including the fuel filter.. I did the ignition switch myself and also replaced the bulbs in the instrument panel too.. installed GPS, bluetooth etc.. Had the timing belt done by an Audi mechanic.. look on Craigs list. Replaced the Battery and Fuel pump on my own... Sold it at 95K miles and got another Audi.. Good Luck

Old 08-31-2009, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. I actually just bought a '94 100 wagon today. The A6 I looked at turned out to have a dead battery, flat tire, broken radio, unfastened body panels, dangling upper console, and broken seat (they actually asked me to test drive it with the seat fully reclined!). But I looked at this other Audi today from a private seller, and it's very clean and though I really don't like its age, it has no major defects.

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 AM
1st Gear

the parts should be of high quality. as it will also give guarantee