Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

considering an A6

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Default considering an A6

Hello all. I had a 2001 F-150 Supercab XLT for a while, but when gas started being $80 a week for me, I downgraded to a Mazda Miata. That was fun for about a month or so, then it was way too small. Now it's snowing everyday and I can't go anywhere without leaving 4 hours early and sliding all over the road. The wife says I need a new car (yay).

I've been eyeballing Audis for a while now, and I think I'm sold. However, because of the negative equity from the truck, and whatever will be left over on the Miata, my funds aren't what they used to be. It seems like something under $10k is what i'm looking for. I've been able to find a few online, but they end up being like 400 mi from me, and I don't have time for that. I found this A6 at a local dealer and just wondered what you guys thought about it. I'm not big on the color, but it appears pretty clean. It blue books for way more than they're asking. Since you guys seem like the experts, I thought I'd get your opinion.

http://www.college-car.com/temps/det...rchvkid=107999

Old 02-07-2007, 04:04 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: considering an A6

i absolutely adore my A6. its not the greatest thing on gas, but its not why i got it. mine is the twin turbo, so if u want to try to keep fuel cost minimal, go with the 1.8 A4 or the smaller A6 motors, like the 2.8 or the 3.0. They wont be lightning fast, but theyre just as good as any audi out there. the 4.2 is the worst on gas, the 2.7T is 2nd worst, if its no concern, get the two seven theyre a blast! im driving mine around here in NY and we have snow, but it doesnt bother me. with the ESP on i cant tell if im on snow or on dry pavement, they fell the same, so its def a good choice for driving in snow when it falls out. hope you end up with a nice one and we can welcome another new audi driver to the forums

Old 02-08-2007, 02:33 AM

Gas is somewhat of a concern, but not like it used to be. I'm about to graduate college and hopefully have a decent-paying job, so no biggie.

I was more concerned with the high mileage that specific A6 i linked to has, and whether or not you folks think it's an ok deal for the price they're asking. The more I've thought it over, the more I think I might just wait until I have my degree (not too much longer) and get one in better shape. But please, fell free to comment on that purplish-colored one I linked to.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:47 PM

The price is cheap but with 92k on the odometer the car is due for a timing belt & water pump replacement, if it hasn't already been done (spendy $$$). If the dealer claims it was recently done, ask to see the service records (receipts, with warranty) before you take their word for it. Maintenance costs for an Audi can be somewhat high when you are on a budget...

Old 02-08-2007, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2001 2.7T with about 130K miles on it and it runs perfect. Haven't had many problems with it and still get good gas milage, especially on the highway. Being that it has 92K miles, you're due to have to replace something, and like daroshi said, replacing parts on audis can be a good deal of money. But other wise, car looks clean and the colors fine, tint the windows and it would probably look even better.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

i have a 2.8 a6 (1998) with 135k, runnning strong and smooth. its had the timing belt replaced and water pump. The only other things ive done was change brake lines, and fluid. change serpentine belt, and other things here and there. Whatever one you get, I personally think you should change the transmission fluid completely. Audi claims to have "lifetime tranny fluid", i dont buy it. Ive heard so many stories of bmw and audi owners who have had their "lifetime" fluids changedand said that it was some nasty stuff after high mileage use, and its much smoother, as well as higher reliability. just make sure any rubber parts arent dried out and cracked (including leaky gaskets), MAKE SURE TO CHECK UNDER THE OIL CAP, for sludge, if there's a thin film of oil coating everything in there thats ok, but if theres a thick layer (1/8" or more" of oil) you could have some big problems. hope this helps and good luck