Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering an A6

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:35 AM
abe
1st Gear
Default Considering an A6

I've been looking for a replacement for my current car since last August. I've been back and forth between Merc, BMW, Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, and even Cadillac. I'm looking for the perfect car, heh.

Anyway, I took a test drive today; drove a '08 TT and a 4.2 A6. I'm thinking I like the A6 quite a bit. I can get lots of information off Audi's website but I'm hoping that you all can provide some insight to this car.

I drive cars until they fall apart, so I'm wondering if this is going to be something that's going to last 10+ years with careful regular maintenance? Are there lots of "normal" fixes that I'm going to have to deal with? Are there any existing issues with these cars "off the line" so to speak? (For example, the current crop of BMW 335i's are having issues with their fuel pumps, etc.)

Just looking for things I should be aware of before I move forward with a purchase. Also, how willing have you all found dealers to be when negotiating price? I was thinking of just taking in the invoice price, add $1000 to it, and say "this is my offer". Will that get me very far?

Are there any significant changes to the A6 coming out for the 2008 model year?

Old 06-10-2007, 09:07 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Considering an A6

For 2008 the rumor is that Audi is "freshening" the front grill/bumper and rear bumper. In addition, 18 inch rims are becoming statndard. If you are going to wait for the 2008s, the car will probably sellfor around $1,500 over invoice. If you wait and take a 2007 leftover in the Fall, Audi will probably throw dealer incentives of a few thousand dollars brining the sell price to perhaps $3,000 under invoice.

I have an 05 4.2 that I purchased new with every option right down to the solar sunroof. The car is awesome. It accelerates well and with the Goodyear D3s it corners much better, though it is still a front heavy car. The car is incrediblein the snow. Its very stableon the highway and is still pulling at 135 mph. While it is fun to drive, its reliability has been spotty.Most of the problems have been nuisances. Some of which may be because I have one of the early 05s.

The airbag light came on two weeks after I purchased the car. It took them 10 days to figure out the problem. Audi then came out with a TSB on updating the computer software for the airbags.

The MMI "crashed" a year after I bought the car. After having the car for 8 days, Audi wiped the hardware clean and reinstalled the MMI computer software.

The MMI had a few bugs with not updating the satellite radio stations, losing surround settings and sometimes not automatically linking with my bluetooth phone. Audi had the car for a day and updated the MMI computer software. Audi has a TSB on this issue as well.

I have written those three problems off to having a very early computer software version. To give you an idea of the number of changes in the software, my car came with MMI version 10 and now has version 33. Since being updated to MMI version 33, about fourmonths ago, I have not had any computer issues.

As far as non-computer issues. I have had a few. The first was that all 8 coil packs had to be replaced. The second was the lid for the gas cap would not open from inside the car. In order to open it I had to wedge my credit card inside the lid and open it from the outside. Audi had the car for 2 days to fix these problems. The third was that the frame for the front passenger seat came loose and the entire seat had to be removed and the bolts tightened. The fourth was a rattle in the glove box area of the dashboard. The fifth is that the air conditioning has developed a "mildew" smell.Similiar to the computer issues discussed above,Audi has TSBs on allof these issues seeming to indicate that my problems are not isolated to just my car. According to the TSBs Audi correctedthese problems, except for the air conditioning,through design changes at the factory.

Despite the car being at the dealer for 21 days for repairs during the last 27 months, not maintenance, I would certainly buy the car again because it is a lot of fun to drive and the dealer gives me a loaner. However, I would check which MMI software version is currently in the car. If it is below 33, I would take it to Audi and have it updated as soon as possible. In addition, I would check the car's VIN and compare it to the Audi TSBs and see what issues you need to keep an eye on. You can get copies of the Audi TSBs at eBahn's website. While the car is still under warranty, I would make sure you complain about any issues contained on the TSBs issued for your VIN.

Buy the car.

Kevin

Old 06-10-2007, 06:37 PM
abe
1st Gear

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time for such a comprehensive post. I really appreciate it.

I looked at a 4MATIC E550 but decided against it because the trunk was too large; I just don't need such a big car. But after checking out the A6 it's just as big, heh. But the MB only gets 22 MPG, and the Audi gets 25. It actually makes a big difference to me, even if the difference in cost is only a few bucks per year.

I might just wait until this fall but it would seem that they're less willing to deal when it's winter time, wouldn't you think? The car I'm driving right now is reliable and is working so I'm not in a rush.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:04 PM
2nd Gear

December is traditionally the best time to shop for a car. Sales people are tryingto hit the monthly, quaterly and annual numbers and most of the shoppers are at the mall buying clothes and jewelery.